Monday, July 2, 2007

Jaded...???



Has human society as a whole become jaded or is it a western or in particular a New York City phenomenon?

I was in New York last week and acted in a music video a friend was working on as part of a film making class. My costume for the shoot included in addition to a modern outfit, a Victorian era turquoise, silk taffeta dress. It was a very elaborate ensemble, replete with flounces, a bustle, ribbons and lace, and quite elaborate as can be seen in the picture....

I was required to walk up and down the streets in Union Square ( a very busy thoroughfare...BTW) while being filmed by a camera that captured the shot from quite a distance at times. The point is, for anyone who saw me in this get up, it was not immediately clear that I was in costume being filmed.

What struck me as odd was how calmly people went about their own business without even blinking as if nothing was amiss in the picture I painted walking down New York City streets in 2007 dressed in something that was representative of a era two centuries prior! I am a pretty extroverted person and when I glance at someone I seldom avert my eyes and definitely make eye contact, however brief. It was interesting for me therefore, to see no curiosity in the gazes that met mine. I tried to imagine how I must appear to them...

  • I could be a complete kook dressing up because my mind was beginning to unravel at the seams and I believed I was in a different time/era...
  • I was a street performer and was hoping to earn a quick dollar or two...
  • I was in the middle of a film/photo shoot...

All of the above would warrant a change in expression, however subtle. Some curiosity, a roll of the eyes even, or just a self conscious averting of the gaze to avoid making eye contact with the "crazy"... you know the normal human emotions and gestures at play in an unexpected or out of place situation. The strange thing is, in the seven hours that I was busy doing this shoot, only three or four people actually asked me what was going on. A few more actually complimented my get up, two took my picture using their cell phones (one of whom was in a car), and several just smiled at me. But the majority took it in stride! Like nothing whatsoever was amiss... And there were several hundred people on those streets in that seven hour period.

Now I don't know about you, and I may have been born in Uganda....but I have lived in the US for ten years now, and I must admit....I would have been very curious to try and find out what was going on. I would at least have gawked, with open curiosity! Being a psychologist and mental health professional in the making and a social psychology researcher at heart, I was in my element throughout the shoot just observing the completely unexpected reaction/or lack thereof, that was in evidence before me.

It got me thinking...have we Americans, as a society in general, been exposed to such a level of sensory stimuli on the whole that we have become jaded...desensitized even? It was a startling revelation. Sad even in a poignant sort of way.

What a loss. To lose the wonder and charm for the little things in life. To have no curiosity left. To be forever in search of a bigger high, a greater rush, than what is commonly accessible and available in daily life. It would explain why drugs are such a big problem...we are not easily excited anymore. A joint or two is needed to make us sit up and take notice. A "bump" here or there to make life more interesting...

I was relieved however, to see in the children, a sense of wonder still. They stared with a naked expression of awe, curiosity and amazement in their faces, followed by a self conscious and bashful embarrassment when I smiled at them. And the kids were the only ones to glance back over their shoulders as they walked away, as if to carry with them an image from a childhood of unadulterated wonder that would alas, not last for very long in this ever increasingly jaded and cynical time...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the time I've lived here (around 13 months), I've felt it's more of a New York thing. It's not because people aren't curious, for I'm sure they are. However most people in general are rather uncomfortable in appearing to stare or glance at someone.

I know it might be just a stereotype but a New Yorker friend of mine told me once that it's very easy to spot the people who are visitors to the city. They are the ones walking slowly, glancing all over the place, looking up at the buildings, buying food at the vendors etc. Again according to him, it's very easy to spot New Yorkers. They will be walking fast, knowing exactly where they are going, avoiding any eye contact whatsoever, and swearing under their breath at the people infront of them who are walking at that leisurely gait.

Maybe it has something to do with the psychology of the city. Maybe when you have these many people living in such a small place, it's a natural sociological consequence arising out of that. Everyone has a 1-2 foot personal space around them. In a city like New York, that personal space gets violated everytime you walk on the street. Maybe that’s why the sensory stimuli is the way it is. Or then again, maybe we didn't become jaded, just impersonal. Maybe it's real or maybe it’s a pretension. Or perhaps in the quest to be politically, socially, and im-personally correct, all the while trying to give and take space, we are afraid to be found staring at people. Or maybe we just like to live in our cocoons, addicted to loneliness, so much so that meeting people, chatting with strangers, making eye contact, just plain numb ...

-Mo

Shahnaz said...

Me no like numb...!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shahnaz,

It's wonderful to read what you have been thinking while working with us. It was because of me you were wearing that dress, and I am glad you had such a good time. I rember I was quite 'short' in my expressions that day, it was all inexperience and pressure, I am sorry for that. Have learned a lot since.
I remember it was a very hectic day and much of it was improvised. We did not have time to talk about our experiences afterwards, which was a shame. So it's nice that you actually posted your thoughts.
It's great to see that the idea worked out so well for my classmates as some of the films get posted on the net. My hope was that shooting these fancy (old)dressed people would get a lot of surpises and a lot of footage to work with. Just so everyone could edit their own version of the story. As much as you I was quite surprised that almost everyone seemed not to be bothered by this fancy lady going for high tea in NYC.Maybe next time we should take you into a high society club.
Myself I am picking up work on the video to improve it, so I'll let you know when it's done.

Thanks again for helping us out on such short notice !

By the way, how is junaid doing ? We have not been in touch, I remember he was quite a fan of Anton Corbijn. I am sure he has seen 'control' ? Corbijn's feature ?

Ali said...

thats not fair at all.. you wear this color and then blame the audience.. next time try red. and i googled this video and honestly.. "RED"..the whole meaning to the video would have changed.. sigh..

Shahnaz said...

Ali-

Red is my color...

BUT I get into a LOT of trouble hen I wear red... ;)

So for my sake and the city's I am glad the dress was NOT red!!!