Monday, February 11, 2008

A day for love?

20051015191022

In this fast paced world , doesn't it strike one as odd that we have designated a "day" for love. Commercialized it to such a degree that even the most stellar Romeo, were he to forget this one day of love, would be forever doomed to have defiled love itself...

I have friends who do not believe in Valentine's day and yet feel compelled to explain to everyone that they have not received anything from their beau because they do not "do" valentines... (then why all the explaining??) And I have friends who will bring their goodies in to the workplace or to school simply to display their bountiful ration of love.

I just chuckle knowingly at both. For the social voyeur that I am, this "day for love" provides a truckload of fodder for my idle and curious mind. That said... I am particularly partial to flowers and chocolate but the most touching valentine I ever received was an original poem written especially for me, sent via e mail after I had let my beau know I had been seriously slighted by his neglect of the day for love.

I have yet to receive a valentine that can top that one.

Happy lovin' folks, and until next time
Au Revoir

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have thought pretty much anything would top a self-instigated gift/tribute...

“Original poem” might qualify for an exception but it’d have had to be:

1. …a damn good one!
2. ..kind of self deprecating, manfully acknowledging the (perceived?) slight but without really capitulating entirely. Love me to madness, for sure, but be always worthy of my love too…(being so easy to please, its small wonder nahin, that I find myself the “beloved of none”!)

Shahnaz said...

Actually, I am a very tough one to please...and quirky in regards to what will please me.

Very coyly I chastized mon amour for the neglect in not sending me chocolat or flowers. He promptly replied that he had no idea I was partial to any of that and proceeded to completely do a 180 degree turn around and surprise me with something that does please me. Genuine-ness....

The poem was damn good.

It was genuine not flattering... It did not sing my praises or negate my flaws. Rather it acknowledged them all and proceeded to inform that it was a complete acceptance of all my quirks that made him adore me so much, that made me "ME" It spoke volumes. It was truthful. It was great!

Mannan said...

Can you have a look at my Blog Shahnaaz? purleeez
I'd like to have your comments on the last post.I wrote in on 14th.