Sunday, March 30, 2008

Meda Ishq vee toun..



"meda ishq vee toun... meda yaar vee toun... meda jism vee tu, mera ruh vee tu, meda kibla, kaaba... masjid, mimbar... qura,an vee toun..."

Subhan Allah.... kya shaeri... It tugs at my heart, fills me with longing. Generates understanding, and is thought provoking. It leaves me feeling both unfulfilled and satiated at the same time. It makes me want to get up and dance and chant along like a malang lost in myself. I have a zillion feelings bubble and spill over... and achieve lives of their own and dance before my eyes like separate entities and yet still stay connected to me. I feel a linking of souls with someone who listens to this with me, because in that moment they and I are there in that elevated plane of existence as part of something shared and greater than the mundane everyday.

Saraiki is such a delicate language. The nuances of it cannot be translated.
The poetry of my people.

I was at a friend's house last night, and he had selected some choice ghazals to play for me, choicest among which was this one. I have always loved this piece and yet never knew who had originally sung it. I have heard Abida Parveen perform it, but Mian Pathanay Khan is in a class by himself...

Thank you Saadi, for this gift!

8 comments:

mo said...

I learnt Saraiki as a kid from my grandma but have lost most of it over the decades. It is a sweet and very poetic language...

mo said...

Yeah, love is such a conundrum ...

Shahnaz said...

@Mo... ain't it though!

lol, I've gone country!

Anonymous said...

i'm multani, which i guess is same as seraiki?

sista said...

Caught my eye today for some reason – Corrections Kaki:
• First up where did you come up with the “Mian” for referring to Pathanay Khan? No way! Ustad, sure; the name by itself, fine; but he was never ever referred to as Mian! Adding that prefix as respect for someone from Karachi might be automatic but certainly not someone from Kot Addu (Muzaffargarh district).
• Second this is not a Ghazal but a Kafi. The poetry does not have the rhyming couplets essential to the Ghazal and the music forms are distinct though somewhat overlapping.

Razmataz said...

Maidi Dheen!
Tain gar siraiki sikhani huwain , main tenu apnay kaar ghin wanjhan gee..aj kal menu "allergy" theen vanjdee haigi vat tedi mulaqat meday bhraivian day naal kara san zaroor!

Allah Razi huwain!

did you understand that?it was siraiki!

Shahnaz said...

@razmataz

i did get some of it... and some not... please translate. it sound lovely though...

Shahnaz said...

@sista

Ustad it is....