Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Leap of faith....

In 1998, I was married. In 2000 I had my daughter. In 2004 I got separated. In 2005 I enrolled in school, I fought my battle in court and got divorced. I learned how to live on my own. In Summer of 2006 I had my heart broken, really bad. The torment of it continued through the year. In 2007 I vowed to move on. I did... big time... only to end up hurting someone very dear to me, pretty bad.

Devastated by what I had done and realizing what I had lost in the process I was numb. When fear seeks to engulf me, I fight back by facing fear itself. What terrifies me, I must conquer. In one such ritual, I jumped out of a plane at 18000 feet.

I was terrified, but I was gung ho about doing it. There was no doubt that I was going to go through with it. My mind was made up. All that remained was getting to that point. At the training center, after being processed, I proceeded to gobble up a king size snickers bar... to keep the hypoglycemia (and hence fear) at bay. The sugar rush wore off much before my turn to jump. Another 500 calories and giant size snickers bar later, I suited up and got in the plane.

The fear did not actually strike until I was the last jumper (trainer and filmer do not count!) left in the plane. The others had jumped at 12000! I remember saying my prayers. I was petrified. In the video I see raw and naked fear in my eyes just before I jump- but I smile. That is how I deal with overwhelming situations. I mask them and keep going.

I recall a vague sense of inevitability. A "This is it..." moment. This moment has occurred several times in my life. At crossroads. At times of great magnitude. The feeling is the same. Fear bordering on panic but my mind refusing to let panic take over. A conscious ripping away of my feeling state occurs, to give way to my defensive cognitive state. An awareness of what is to come. An acceptance of the inevitability of what must be. An embracing of that. And then the leap. A defiant "Bring it on!" I am ready. I take a deep breath and then I feel solidity leave my feet. There is a brief moment of tangible fear and not knowingness that is electric... and then the leap...the deafening silence...endless... for a second that lasts forever... and then nothing but elation.

Elation for a fear conquered. Elation for all the losses I have survived... smiling...retaining my optimism... and a sense of the beauty of life. Elation at being alive. Elation at feeling alive in this exquisite moment of experiencing 100% pure unadulterated life. There is a breathtaking sunset. The air is fresh and sweet. I am plummeting to the earth, free falling, flying, living, existing, at peace.

Life freezes as time rolls by. I am alive. I feel. I am at peace. In this moment there is so much beauty, and awareness, and freedom, and loss, and acceptance, and humility, and gratitude, and peace.... blissful, beautiful, elusive peace....

The parachute opens, and I float down content in my thoughts. Que serra, serra... what will be, will be. And I am content to let it be. I am comforted by the warmth of my blood, the beating of my heart. I am comforted by having. By having lived the past few minutes.

If given a choice, which would you choose? One moment of pure life, or a lifetime of mundane.

I chose the moment of pure life. I let go of control and embraced fear. I took the leap of faith. I believed. My life is a series of leaps. A series of moments of pure life. The mundane does not entice me anymore. The magic of having experienced purity, is that you can recognize it hidden deep within the mundane. It is there, just for the taking. Courage is all that is needed. A little courage and humility. To be able to let it all go in one fell swoop. To believe... To have faith... To leap... Over and over again... To leap.


16 comments:

Mohican said...

I don't think I would ever jump off a plane of my own free will. But I do agree that it must be the sort of an experience that resets all your clocks! You know what, maybe this is the sort of thing I should try out. Do you know any places nearby for this adventure?

Shahnaz said...

@mohican

You absolutely must do it! It is the most fantastic thing in the world to try. I did it in Hollister CA, but there are several places to do it in Raeford, NC.

Happy diving dude!
Go soar and fly....
:)

Anonymous said...

I thought I was doing the crazy thing by jumping off a plane albeit at 10,000 ft. I wanted to do something crazy, well I had my reasons. After I read what u wrote & why u did it I mused over mine…in the ball park. Hubby joked that he only followed suit to defend his male ego. I threaten him with a bungee jumping spree next:)
@Mohican, we did ours in Keywest, Florida. The facility there is pretty primitive though. Not a proper training. The view from above is breath taking. The guy I tandemed with said that because of the water the landing part is tricky & requires a lot of skill.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

shahnaz just peered over ur profile pic only cos it is miniscule. u look like u r running for america's next top model. looking good :)

mo said...

I love that look on your face before the jump :P

mo said...

I think I've teased you about that before :P

But :P

mo said...

Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build wings on the way down.

Things can fall apart, or appear to, and trust the mind to always have enough reasons ... so love, life, and everything is always a leap of faith. Ultimately, when you're at the edge, you have to go either forward or turn back; if you go forward, you have to jump. If it feels right, it must be, if it doesn't, its not.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are at peace :)

Shahnaz said...

@Mo

I know you have teased me about that look... you and a few others!

But I agree. If it feels right... it is, if it doesn't it isn't!

Shahnaz said...

@anonymous

10000 is a pretty good jump! I wanted the longest free fall I could get. 18000 was as high as Hollister folks would go. I think 20000 would be great!

Shahnaz said...

@anonymous

America's next top model indeed!! You are officially my new best friend- you are VERY good for my ego :P

hehehe... but seriously, you are too kind. And perhaps a little blind. I am no model, in fact I am far from it. But still.... that was a sweet thing to hear. It made me feel warm fuzzies! :)

Thanks

PS are both anonymous the same? Maybe we need an alias for the anonymous if they are different?

Perhaps a "Thing 1 and Thing 2" deal... in this case an A-1 and an A-2

??

:)

Anonymous said...

the anonymous who skydived here and the one who thinks u look like a top model both the same.
when i post it doesnt give me an option to put in a name unless i have a blog. so i post anonymous. i like the fact that it shrouds me with an air of mystery :)
peace.
th

mo said...

@Shahnaz
"hehehe... but seriously, you are too kind. And perhaps a little blind. I am no model"


Oh cmon, I think you're gorgeous ...

Shahnaz said...

@mo

fabulously oozing charm from every pore... yes
gorgeous...no

But moz you do know that we are friends because you say such divine things to me... right?
LOL

mo said...

LOL
awwww :')

And, charming, radiant, graceful, addictive, why of course!

Fabulously oozing charm from every pore... yes

But not just that

Gorgeous...too ... And I said:

"I think" you are gorgeous.

So in your defense, you can say I'm a little blind too :P heehee

Unknown said...

Wow