Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day




In the eight years since I have been a mother, I have waited for this day! The past several years have been full of forgotten mother's day's by my (now) ex-spouse (yes there is a reason we are not together!) and I eagerly awaited with longing for the day when my child would understand the concept of celebrating a mother.

Today was perfect. My little angel made it the BEST mother's day ever.

She had planned for this for weeks. She had a present for me and insisted that her bookshelf was "off limits". That was the hiding place for the loot! And then on Friday, her school folder was off limits too.

She woke me up this morning with her sweet voice and sleepy face as she tumbled into bed with me and kissed me declaring "Happy Mother's Day Mom!" When I dragged myself away from my dreams to turn my face towards her and opened my eyes to the most beautiful sight in the world- her sweet face, she stated matter of factly, "You look more beautiful than ever!"

I was floored. I said, "Really???" and she said, "You always look beautiful but right now you look more beautiful than you have ever looked before." I gazed into the ebony black eyes of the most beautiful face I have ever seen and recalled the first moment that I laid eyes on my treasure. Yup, I thought... my once and forever "true love at first sight". SHE is still it. Her love is unconditional. So is mine.

She insisted that I not make my bed. She wanted to do it. She washed up and hurried downstairs before me. When I followed a few moments later, she had prepared breakfast for me! Fruity Pebbles-the wonder cereal... with a napkin and spoon all laid out. And then she produced my present. It was a heart-shaped ring with a blue jewel heart! I melted on the spot. And a delightful book mark that she had made at school. I looked at her and felt like the luckiest woman on earth. I AM the luckiest woman on earth. I have my beloved treasure and nothing else means more.

Later in the day, my gigantic hearted daughter went to spend some time with her father and step-mom! They too after all are moms right? (as my friend once put it... once you look past the evil warts and moles they are actually okay)

When I called later to wish my mom a happy mom's day, and she asked to speak to my little one- I told her, "She's at her dad and step mom's place visiting". My mom said to me, "On Mother's Day?....Hmmm.... darling, you are my gigantic hearted daughter!" I was silent for a moment. Mother's are great, I thought. They understand so much. And daughters too. And the three generations of women that we are, Mom- Me- and My munchkin.... we have more in common than I thought!

Yup! We are FABULOUS women. We know each other inside out. And we love each other fiercely!

11 comments:

mo said...

Awww, that's adorable :) ... such a sweetheart ...

Anonymous said...

Oh Shahnaz, this one just melted my heart. I am not a mom but the wealth of feeling & emotion rampant all through your piece made me misty eyed. I can for now only see through a daughter's eyes and when I wished my mom today i had so much to say that I couldn't. I just said I missed her terribly & I was blessed to have her as my mother. Happy Mother's day to you.
Wish you & your 'treasure' all the joys & pleasures of this very precious bond.
Peace!!

sista said...

Happy Mothers Day kiddo!
Three generations of strong yet sensitive women....keep loving fiercely...

Women share a sensibility and bond that is very special.....mothers love their sons of-course but perhaps enjoy their daughters more! All children are loved equally yet daughters are more "equals"..especially later on in life.

PS: My 6 yr old did not have the preseverance to keep the paper tulip she made at school for me till Sunday - so I received it Friday with the instruction: "Mama, promise to be surprised when I give it to you again on Mother's Day"

Anonymous said...

Hello Shahnaz,

Anonymous said...

Hello Shahnaz,

I have read almost all your things that you have posted and I was surprised to see this Shahnaz that we know in Alpha Bravo Charlie.You are a good Writer and have deep pesonality.Please whenever you come Pakistan do something.A poetry for your daughter.
The snail is necessary the bindweed is necessary
The cold leaves and their dew
The walls too placed in the light
And our hands' weaving in the light
Beneath the etched white angle of the almond trees
Where our stalemates sleep a while--all that
Our breathing
Launched into the infinite to drown itself and dissolve us

Here I am. "The moon is my child" (the moon?)
As it was once said
My nocturnal one, so tender in your outbursts
Very gently, my spouse, my daughter
In this bed of broken rocks, knotted muscles
Bed of natural violence and sheets of wind
Crater of woeful stone and conch, daughter
Over whom comes and goes
The shadow of death's unknown raptor

At last here come the clouds
In which the lamp undoes and redoes itself daughter
Already born of tomorrow O red lamp
Sheer height of nocturnal day
On the house of fire of the dream-maddened
Their sheets twisted like nebulae
Their eyes a delegation of birds toward the center

My daughter my dove
To you through you from you the strangling
That lamp of frost
Yourself half-naked beneath the leaf
In this garden of the One
Where your night goes to love your clarity
A thousand times my heart this shines
Unhealable scar which palpitates
To you from you through you the strangling
Beneath so much fallen rain
In that slumber with the sun in which we sleep.

Blessings,

Hasina.(Pakistan)

Anonymous said...

:)

Shahnaz said...

@Mo

she sure is... and she said to tell you "blue hair!"

Shahnaz said...

@anonymous

it is a great feeling to be where I am. i have the wealth of having a great mom and a great daughter. and the wonder of knowing my love for my mom by knowing my daughters love for me, and of my mom's love for me by knowing my love for my child.

my kid is the most magnificent and wondrous blessing in my life.

Shahnaz said...

@sista

how cute!

To al the amazing women in my life. You being one of them!

Shahnaz said...

@hasina

thanks so much!

mo said...

Give her a big hug from me hehe :)