Monday, May 19, 2008

SOD a la Shahnaz!

Okay folks! Degree shmeegree! I am in the wrong business I have decided! A recent episode has convinced me once and for all. The millions are to be made in landscaping! I am terribly house maintenance challenged. I hire people to fix everything. In this day and age of do it yourselfness I am a write-the-check-and- sleep-easy person. Granted it is not always economical but then I am one of those who enjoys the luxury of it. If I end up the poorer for having spent the money, the lavish feeling ends up being worth it. As a matter of fact, the last time I swept my kitchen floor was when I was livid and did it to blow off some steam and get rid of excess aggressive energy since a run or a session of racquetball was out of the question at that ungodly and not to mention chilly hour. House cleaning, yard care and taxes are perfectly good things to hire someone else to do the dirty work. But this last incident even leaves me feeling a tad FOOLISH!

What I speak of is my airfare to Europe which is currently lying in my yard! I kid you not. My yard maintenance bill for this month was the equivalent of a business class ticket to two destinations in Europe! And I don't mean I had any fancy orchids and ponds and waterfalls installed. Nor was there any sod involved! The said amount is for the mowing and trimming, fertilizing and seeding and let us not forget the mulch! Well sure I like the fancy (not to mention pretty and EXPENSIVE) red mulch but this is ridiculous!
"Hello dear friends... I will not be joining you in Europe this summer but you can all come and hang out on my yard! It is as pricey as Europe!"

The sting of it is still fresh. It looks stunning no doubt. The lush green contrasting nicely with the luscious red of the mulch and the beautiful trees out front that are in full bloom (the basic reason why I bought the house)(the trees afford you so much privacy you could walk around naked inside with all the drapes and blinds up...and your neighbors would be none the wiser!)But a four figure landscaping bill is the bane of my existence this month. OUCH! Who needs a degree. Apparently landscaping is the business to be in. I should start my own. I think I would do well. I could dabble in sod. I could call it "Sod by Shahnaz" or even "Sod a la Shahnaz!"

Soddfully yours!
Shahnaz!

9 comments:

Mohican said...

Well if I were you, I'd think of it this way, you'd spend the same amount of money to make a trip to Europe, it would be for a week probably and then you'd be back.

Now investing that same money into the lawn, well you can walk out into the lawn at 3 am every night, and enjoy the dew on your feet, and the lawn isn't going anywhere! :)

mo said...

Awww ... I bet it looks lovely though and I'll have to visit you :) ... hugs

Shafaq said...

yar that was extremely hilarious. Do upload a picture of your newly done yard in your next article naming walking in Paree.
lmao

Shahnaz said...

@Mohican...

Nice reframe dear man, but why would I walk in my yard at 3 am (where the dogs rule...)when I could be promenading on the Champs Elysees in Paris at 3 am... but it is nonetheless sweet of you to care enough to try to make it hurt less...

I shall take your advise and go wet my feet in the dew tonite and if I survive the canines I shall live to write another day.

:)

Shahnaz said...

@shafaq

I will certainly do that!

Anonymous said...

Someone said utilise more He will bestow more. Somehow you know the money comes back.

Shahnaz said...

@sikander

or as my darling mom puts it
"Allah shakar khoray ko shakar dayta hai"

In my case I have sooooo much I don't deserve that I am often in awe... but in this case an $1800 yardcare bill just sucks!

Arfan said...

LOL @

"Hello dear friends... I will not be joining you in Europe this summer but you can all come and hang out on my yard! It is as pricey as Europe!"

Shahnaz said...

@Arfan

:P
lol...