Friday, June 13, 2008

Ta Daa!! It's a female thing! You see, actually....

Summer school assignments- DONE!

And the plan was to get a whole lot of other stuff done too...but well..read on.... It all started with the assignments getting done. And then a 45 minute dash to Barnes and Noble to get "Man's search for meaning" (they did not have "Travel that changes your lie...er life"!) (both books are required reading for the Vienna Theorists Class) and Circuit City for a small digital camera- which btw, ended up being a brand new blog post! It goes like this....

Me to sales clerk: "Hi. I'm looking for a digital camera. It needs to be small enough to fit into my pretty purses" I stated, which had the effect of leaving the sales clerk and a couple of male customers totally gobsmacked. Flustered by their expression I then said, "You don't understand... the camera needs to be small enough to fit in my pretty purses..... like about this size..." and I pulled out my motorola Razor V-3.

One customer looked at me funny. I bumbled on, "It's a completely different concept with women... you see, I have these pretty purses, and I have to fit my phone, powder compact and now my camera into them..." I faltered, at a loss for words unable to explain to this Y chromosome human- my point of view. Another woman chimed in and pulled out her cute little powder compact and she and I proceeded to ooh and ahhh over the travel-sized Lancome powder compact. It was a petite and practical 1 & 1/2 " in diameter golden disc. I glanced up at customer # 1 ...... he was trying to pick his jaw up off the floor following our exchange. (Female walked off to the CDs section)

I was very self conscious as the sole object of study under #1's gaze now. Anyway, the Casio that I wanted (which was the same size as my Razor- slender, petite, perfect! was out of stock) so I decided on the Nikon instead. It was a little thicker... sort of like a regular cell phone thickness but just as petite. It works... Paid and charged and all in under 10 minutes. Customer # 1 eyes me suspiciously (he probably had been roaming the camera section there for an hour or more...) his jaw hits the floor again. I looked right at him. "What?" I say... "It's just a camera. It's not like I'm buying a Calvin Klein gown and need to try it on first...." His look of consternation deepens. I try to explain my point of view, "Well...clothes shopping takes more time and research- you know color trends for that season..... cuts and design...whether or not the designer was a hit on the runways that year...you know tons of stuff needs to be considered. Camera shopping is easy". But the look of sheer disbelief on his face made me wonder if he thought I was batty!

"It's a female thing..." I offered placatingly, yet remotely aware that the poor man might have an aneurism if I tried to explain further. "You see" I continued, uncomfortable but somehow unable to let him believe I had fluff for brains. "I generally would've called one of my guy friends. My real IT type ones... who live out in the Bay area... and are IT type people... for recommendations and advice and all.... but I am trying the whole independent female thing. You know, do electronics shopping by myself and all..."
#1 stares with a glazed look. I almost sense that at that moment he would declare undying frienship to me if only I would ask for his opinion on what one should actually look for in a digital camera aside from size. (Hey size does matter- it's another female thing! But I digress...)
"I like your shirt." I continue, eager to use my rapport building skills. "Express for men - last summer season.... I love that pattern. Two of my guy friends have it too. Great choice!"
#1 mumbles a response "My uh...girlfriend got it for me....uh.. thanks..." but by now, he looks very obfuscated.
"Well happy camera shopping! Take care.." I say as I rush out of the bright glow of #1's (by now totally "women are most certainy from Venus!") very judging looks.

Sheesh! I think, as I get into the car. It was just a freakin camera. Once settled in the car I notice the garment bag from Dillards hanging in the back. Hmmmmm, I wonder. It's the blue chiffon Calvin Klein I bought last week. Dillards is just around the corner. Should I stop and return it. $225 is a hefty price for a dress, Hey! It's the same price as my new camera- $233. Hmmm.... It is soooo last season though. But it does look great. Very soft periwinkle blue. Blue however, is not this season's color. Still it looks very elegant and expensive... it was on sale. It is regularly priced at $415. It is a complete steal. I call my friend Celia... "Hey woman! I got the Calvin Klein blue chiffon.... Should I keep it or should I take it back?..... I know... it looks great though..... Heck, no woman! I don't have that kinda cash...... It was on sale for like $200....... Yeah.... hmmm maybe..
I dunno I'll go home and try it on one more time. What are you doing right now?...... Well come on over and tell me what you think. I'm not home but I'll be there in like 10 minutes...... Yeah it's hanging in my car. I thought I'd return it, but it looks so good on me....... Well come on over and I'll try it on and show you. I'll be there in 10 minutes. I am on Eastchester. I was out shopping...... Oh nothing I was just at Circuit City...... Oh nothing much, just a digital camera... Yeah it's sort of tiny...... The dress lining is 100% silk and the dress is french chiffon. Yeah it's the one we saw online. Well that's what I mean it was on sale for $200. I know it's a great deal. Maybe I'll keep it. Well I'll see you in a bit. You can see me in it and then decide. Alright darling. See ya in a lil' bit. Take care, Bye."

Hmmmm... I think, it is a steal for only $200 or so. I mean compared to like the original $400! Well I'll let Celia see it too.

It's a female thing!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

omg.. omg... omg... i neva thought u were so girly ... lol !!!

Anonymous said...

was fun reading it, esp the last conversation part lol
who wants to know the features of the cam, as long as it can take a few clicks ;)

Mohican said...

Umm...everyone...everyone wants to know...at least everyone from Mars. My wife is a macro-photographer, and I can't in a million years take one pic half as good as pictures captured through her eye, but even she doesn't know much about the camera in hand! :)

Unknown said...

mohican... in the words of shahnaz...

its a female thing...

lol!

Mohican said...

Hey...no posts from you in a while!

mo said...

Aww ... you are adorable :)