Monday, July 28, 2008

Anonymity....

I have never been one to pussyfoot around stuff, and yet diplomacy, charm and a degree of decorum (read selfish yet sound reasoning) demands that I... well, pull my punches when delivering. Just the other day, in a private communication, Sista wrote to me- wouldn't it be great if you had an anonymous blog?

It got me thinking of all the stuff that I could divulge in such an instance. I grinned from ear to ear luxuriating in the wealth of stories that tumbled into my head. The shock value of some that would put the tabloids to shame!

Now there is very little about me that those nearest and dearest to me do not know about. I am transparent as a Windex cleaned window to some people in my life. And yet with others my real self is encased in a vault they seldom are even aware of.

But, yes I have to agree... to write anonymously would be uninhibiting. I keep silent not for me. I have long since battled my demons and faced every last bit of my self. I have indulged in self loathing and hatred and have long since forgiven and emerged nonchalant. There is nothing about me now that embarrasses me. I have accepted who and what I am. So why is it that I need the guise of anonymity?

I pondered over this a minute and realized. I do not care to expose the whole of me to just anyone. It takes a very special sort of humankind to completely accept and understand another human. And the only humankind capable of doing that is the humankind that is also as evolved in self acceptance.

You see when people see in us traits that they run from, hate and despise in themselves... they channel all that self loathing toward the object that reminds them of its existence in their own self. They then seek the revenge and destruction upon the objectification of that memory. That is why I choose to drop the veil only in front of self evolved people. Who has the time and energy to do battle with unevolved humanity. Why distress them? Why detract from your own purpose? It is a time-consuming, unrewarding and painful engagement I prefer to avoid.

"You can't handle the truth!" This line uttered by Jack Nicholson in "A few good men" never rang so true before this awareness. But still I am fortunate to have in my life "A few good humans" who know the transparent truth about me. No anonymity required. And "real" relationships are unfettered by diplomacy and decorum. There exists a fundamental understanding of truth and reality, no holds barred and acceptance- unconditional acceptance. For all else there is the suspension of disbelief.

That is the funny thing with relationships. I have all sorts of them with all sorts of people. Casual, purposeful, indulgent, masked, forced, and real- but never fake. I do not do fake. I just choose not to have one. Fake would imply pretence. I do not enjoy pretending to like someone I don't. I'd rather make it clear that I do not care for them and we can be civil and tolerant and respectful of each other's space. But I cannot pretend to be friendly. Life is too short to waste time on people I do not like. I hardly get enough time to spend with those I actually like. The suspension of disbelief in this case is that you pretend to believe you know me well.... and I do not correct you, the effort of correcting you is wasteful. You only know that which I expose to you. What you do with that is your choice but is certainly no fact. I expose a lot, but by no means is that everything.

One can choose not to expose fully, and that is our prerogative. We can have completely fulfilling and satisfying surface level relationships. In fact there are people who have never experienced the "let's get down to the bare bones" kind of relationship and are content simply with living on surface levels their entire existence.

For me. My "real" relationships go beyond the bare boned kind. We know and understand every atom and every instinct of each other. Those are the most earthy and fulfilling of my relationships. Those are my real existence. Anonymity there is a joke. There is no need for it. There is no need for anything. On occasion I will even meet someone with whom I will share an "encounter" only of complete reality. For that brief period, there is only truth- the bare boned, down to the last atom and element truth. Sadly it is becoming harder and harder to find those. But I take refuge in the solid real ones.

A few good humans in my life; I share that with them. And I know that we are a blessed few to have that.

Sista: I think we stumbled on a real encounter. I think that is how we became friends.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's the same anonymous from the previous two comments (hereafter to be referred as anon.e.mouse).

If you are really concerned about privacy, you might want to hold off on writing about your experiences with ABC. That series continues to be extremely popular among Pakistanis everywhere; it's used as the benchmark against which other shows, etc are judged.

Also, you (or probably more precisely, your character) is very well, how should I put it...appreciated....especially among men (who were boys then), for some reason.

And they accuse of us not being attracted to intelligent women. Ha!

sista said...

Who has the time and energy to do battle with unevolved humanity.

And

I have indulged in self loathing and hatred and have long since forgiven and emerged nonchalant.

....know and understand every atom and every instinct of each other.


Beautiful.

Shahnaz ...you are definitely a better person than I......BUT.....in the name of "diplomacy, charm and a degree of decorum" ...lets never bring that up again.

Salut

Shahnaz said...

anon.e.mouse

may i call you mouse for short?

so are you implying that i am undesirable and just my character was?

and was my character intelligent or am i?

confuzzled...
:P

Anonymous said...

Although I'm (allegedly) more of a rat, I guess mouse is close enough.

Anyway, I was confused myself, trying to walk the Pakistani fine line between being complimentary and not offensive at the same time.

As far as being intelligent or desirable is concerned, I don't know you at all, so I'll have to reserve judgment on that :).

But suffice it to say that Shahnaz the character had enough of both (certainly the latter) to motivate even a shy and nerdy graduate student to test his luck.

Shahnaz said...

mouse,

i was merely teasing...
i find a very candid teasing an excellent way of getting people to stop hiding behind their facades...
it forces them to drop the pretence and speak candidly also.

;)

so fellow suffering graduate student tell me of your woes of student living and stipends...

Shahnaz said...

sista,

as always, thanks for the appreciation of my post and "bring what up again"??

Unknown said...

haha.. well.. you delt well with mr mouse here shahnaz...

i will put forward a few things...

1...
I could not agree more with you... since i hit that thing called puberty or whatever you wanna call it... the stage where one becomes to become self aware as well as aware of his/her surroundings... i hav always been labelled weird, unorthodox, or jus unique as i call myself. It is at that moment where you can either accept who you are and what you present yourself as, or hide behind a veil. For a long time I have, tried out different personalities, hidden behind the alias smacula, trying out different personalities over the internet... and yet... i reached the ultimate truth... i am who i am ... and most probably... i think therefore i am ... and the best idea is to accept it...

Like you, I also have a blog, and though it does not deal with heart felt matters as yours does, mine still relates some stuff that is very close to my heart. most people may not get it but those who know me may have a very good idea about what i am talking about... and yet i am unafraid... unafraid to hide my feelings... unafraid to show who i really am... and that i believe... is the way forward...

be who you are... and be proud of it .. i know i am

2...
the matter of shahnaz the character... aaah... what to say... yes shahnaz... guys in their twenties worship her... they do !!!

but you know what... the last time i saw ABC... the character actually annoyed me ... she was too... perfect !!! I have been around humans enough to know that no such thing exists...

I may not know enough about you... but I know a bit... I know you are not perfect... but I also know you hold yourself in a good composure... and for that... I admire the REAL shahnaz... the person that she is... the little i know about her...

and mouse me pal... do not worry... its just a phase... you will grow out of it !!!

Cheerios all.. hopefully this was not as borin as i think it is becomin now !!! lol

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Haha, well, the Ivies take relatively good care of their graduate students--at least the ones in the sciences.

But then again, I'm pretty agile, as I like to say; I live in a small apartment and my idea of a fun weekend is sitting at home and bullshitting about politics and sports, or waxing nostalgic about the good old days...which brings us to back to the point of why I was watching ABC again :).

"and mouse me pal... do not worry... its just a phase... you will grow out of it !!! "

I'm sorry, what's a phase? I'm 23 (not 15), and the only phase I see on the horizon is the dissertation phase.

Shahnaz said...

Mouse

You're an Ivy Leaguer eh? Which one?
And 23 to boot. Ah to be young again!

Unknown said...

well mouse dude... i am 24... not far off... but i feel old... so so old... so i know its a phase... as are all things in life...

@shahnaz... u shud b happy... u hav all da young men goin gaga over you... lol