Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bug Motel

My Terminix Pest Control people missed spraying my home last time (I was not in). I therefore, went and bought an ant trap to annihilate the little meandering trail that seems very fond of my sugary -snacks and seems to be consistently on the move.

The ant trap is a quaint looking dome shaped little structure with several openings all around. I am fascinated by it. More than that it smells really good. I wonder what sort of bait is inside... The warning label says to keep away from pets and kids (and hungry blogging Shahnaz in search of chocolate at night!) (you see I CANNOT live without chocolate... my choco hunt often gets me in very compromising situations- but that is another tale entirely, and anyway i digress...). So where was I? Oh yes- ant trap.

You see I am very curious as to what the inside of the thing looks like. I wish I was ant sized and could strut my way in there. I wonder what the ants are thinking and saying as they traipse on inside,

"Darling, it smells divine!"
"Only the best for you my love."
"Oh I have been looking forward to this evening out for ages now"
"You do work very hard- all that lifting and scurrying"
"So do you"
"...Yes, yes well..."
"This way sir"
"Could we have that table at the end?"
"Certainly sir"
"Better view.."
"Our specials today are- ant bait and ant bait"
"We'll take two"
"Wonderful"

Poor little suckers!

"Dearly beloved we are gathered here today"
Hmmmm, I think that's the wrong ceremony....

"Dear Friends we are here to honor the memory of Pip and Bud.
Pip and Bud were good ants, very anty in their likes. They loved to work hard.
They did enjoy last last meal too- ant bait.... their favorite.
In their memory, let us celebrate their lives, rather than mourn their death.
Together let us partake of their favorite and last meal- ant bait!
Pip and Bud would have liked that.
Raise your cups now.
A toast- To Pip Bud!"

"To Pip and Bud!"

Alas!

Sigh...

It is quite a nifty looking contraption, that little ant buffet, situated front and center at the infamous Bug Motel.

Bugfully yours
Adios!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would have written a very different post if your house had been infested by roaches instead. Most painful lesson I've ever learned since I've been living on my own: never rent a ground-floor apartment in the South.

Unknown said...

i hav to comment on the way you said...

very ANTY...

you know how we define aliens... or animals... the way disney does it or in books or movies...

where the clingons come from planet clingolan (or somin...i m mo def wrong)... where the ants live on the planet called ant planet...

but when it comes to us... we never define shahnaz or sami as a very HUMANY character... we do not call ourselves wholesome and EARTHY...

jus an observation really...

waisay this is where england is real good... you do not normally get ants... its the cold weather i think... !!!

Shahnaz said...

Mouse

(love that name...)

-the very idea of roaches (ack!) is giving me heebie jeebies. I am deathly terrified of roaches. I scream hysterically and run and stand and shiver (and repeat) endlessly after spotting one.

thanks God I have no roaches. I am pretty good about keeping the place sprayed. This is the first time I have had ants. The good thing is there aren't many. And the "bug motel-with 24hr buffet" thingies are doing a good job. visibly less ants.

What Ivy League do you attend
in the south? All the Ivy League schools are in the north east!

Curious....

Shahnaz said...

SAm!

I am shocked. I have often used the words "earthy and human" in my writing.

(Mock indignation!)

:)

Anonymous said...

"What Ivy League do you attend
in the south? All the Ivy League schools are in the north east!"

Haha, yes, you're right. I've been in this country since right after ABC aired :P....so I haven't just lived in one place.

Also, you know what's worse than roaches? Rats. I caught three over the course of one year, with glue boards. Apparently, it's a humane way of catching them (not that I care about that): they stick and you're supposed to pick the pad up (rat attached) and put it outside, and then pour some water over it to release the rat in question.

I never bothered to do the releasing bit. I wanted to make an example of my victims so other rats would think before they entered my domain.

Overall lesson: do not sign a one-year lease until you've checked EVERYTHING.

Anonymous said...

oh lol we got the ant spray done too!! there were SO SO many of them, always in a queue, hundreds of them patrolling every corner of the house ehehee, its funny how they look like terrible addicts when stuck on an empty wrapper or honey bottle lol

so now finally we got rid of the ants for a while,,kinda missing their bites ouch, they bite bad!

lol bug motel?
bugfully yours? ehehehehe
the conversation was great! reminds me of the animated bug life ..aww the poor things ;)

Unknown said...

i do agree wid dat mouse... !

but i don think rats are that intelligent !!!

Shahnaz said...

@mubi

lol... yeah i have a child's wonder for brand new stuff that i have never before experienced. those bug motels really do get you thinking though, about what goes on inside....

thanks for stopping by. i always enjoy your comments....

Unknown said...

dats what i love about readin your blog... da easily excited stuff...

i define myself as easily excited... but hardly impressed... which is a funny place to be stuck in...

which is why you find all these lil things appearin on my blogs and yet i do not giv em justice... lol...