Sunday, July 20, 2008

Holier than thouness...

I have been gone a while... and with just cause. The problem with having an open and non-anonymous blog is that every now and then propriety demands that one refrain from blatantly voicing critique of fellow humans lest they read it and cause trouble for you....

Never one to heed that voice, I did resist for a while but now my frustration and not being allowed to vent has taken over.

I visited a concentration camp while I was in Europe this summer. One of my fellow companions, post visit, verbally attacked me for photographing the premises claiming that I was being "insensitive" to her. I was floored. I responded with something like its a free world.... but the point was, how could my action of photographing be insulting to another. Not only that, apparently her irritation with my actions- very impersonal on my part, entitled her to make some very personal attacks on me!! (And I wasn't the only one photographing the venue in our group!)

I don't understand people some days...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is based on some of my current experiences...sometimes people just want to hit out and hurt someone. they are mad at something/ someone and they take it out on not the person they want to, cos maybe they cant due to whatever reasons. instead they pick on the most convenient target. a target they think cant retaliate.
concentration camp on a tangent reminds of the time i was in cary, nc. there was a plantation in durham i wanted to go visit. they had slaves living there ages ago. i read roots & i remember crying at the end. i also read queen the sequel. never ended up going there. maybe next time when i am in teh area i will look it up.
so how many countries u visited? how long was the trip.
th

sista said...

I wish you'd, slowly if you will, let go of propriety.

Even this very post. Be more open. Say it like it is. Tell us what exactly she objected to and why you think the perception of an insult was far fetched and unfounded. There is power and dignity in the truth and in the written word. Discussing things openly may help clear the air - what pray tell is to be achieved by hiding behind political correctness?

It is hypocritical to think things and then not say them, especially when what you are saying is not hurtful or demeaning.

The whole "sensitive" bit gets my goat! The world is not fluffy, meaningless mush - it is full of real issues and real opinions,

If your friend wears hurt on her sleeve in addition to that huge chip on her shoulder, I am sorry to say: she is simply NOT being an adult.

I don't believe in automatic "entitlements"; you DONT have a right to shut the world up because of your "sensitivity."

...and you MOST CERTAINLY don't get license to display a degree of intolerance therafter that lays bare the hollowness of your original claim to "sensitivity".

Shahnaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

welll tell her to look at what the japs do... they would take a pic of you ppooping if they could !!! and i m not being funny !!!

mo said...

:)