Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What followed later at Starbucks...




So after I left Elwin and Stephen I walked back to the Starbucks where I was to meet my friend.
Still somewhat charged by the experience I decided to have a coffee...(I never drink coffee!). So I walk in and after a quick visit to the loo, ask at the counter for an iced cappuccino. What the heck I could use the sugar- I'll take the ginger snaps too. After having paid with my fancy colored money (I kid you not, Swiss francs are FUN! Bright reds and greens and all shiny silver with faces all over and cool). I balance my drink, the ginger snaps, my sunglasses, the purse falling off my shoulder, and my loose change and go and plonk myself on a comfy sofa outside.

When I am all settled I take a sip, UGH! The coffee tastes yucky... ummm... forgot the sugar! So I scoop myself and my belongings up and go to get the darn sugar. I watch out of the corner of my eye as one very studious looking fellow with his nose in a book thick as the DSM-IV, surreptitiously glances at me out of the corner of his. He probably thinks I am a total ninny.

"I don't drink much coffee..." I offer and then muttering to myself that what the heck does he care anyway. I return only to find my comfy sofa taken. The others all face the sun and I am not too keen on sun. So there is only one thing for it, I walk up to Mr. hoity toity booky nose...

"I'm afraid you're going to have to share that sofa with me."

He looks up. I throw him my most winning smile.... he grins and scoots over and I cozy myself up on the second half of the sofa for two next to him. Finally comfortable and content, I take a deep breath and settle down to enjoy my snaps and ccino.

Bored and craving company, I eye my sofa partner... he hardly looks up. Not impressed I venture forth anyway.

"Gorgeous afternoon hunh?"

"Hmmm... yes..." (eyes back to book)

"It's my first time in Geneva- I love it! Do you live here or are you visiting?"

"No I live here..."(eyes back to book)

Darn!

I look around me again... I notice two young women. They look like students. They look like tourists. They speak English! One gets up to go use the loo. And I pounce!

"So how are you surviving on English here... or do you speak French?"

"Gosh it's been so hard! I don't speak any French... Are you from here?"

"No I'm not. I was telling this nice gentleman that it's my first trip here."

She is across and one seat over from the guy I'm sitting next to, so he is now stranded between a relatively LOUD conversation between us. I chuckle to myself at this state of affairs and continue nonplussed (he looks like he could use some socializing....)

We continue our introductions in this manner of loud speaking for a while, but as we get more familiar and as we have to keep repeating ourselves because we can't hear... she offers me the seat close by in the sun. I explain I am a troll and will melt if touched by the sun. She laughs and the guy next to me offers to switch seats. I wink at him and state that we were too loud and annoying and thus disrupting his studying anyway.... He blushes and shakes his head in the negative, we change seats and the conversation continues.

We venture past the formal and move into more real chatter. Her friend returns, there is another round of introductions. I introduce the guy next to me (and in the process get to know who he is myself!). And the conversation continues. There is a middle aged man sitting and reading the paper by himself and after we have discussed psychology and Freud(they were psych majors too!) and I am regaling them with Elwin the ganja man's tale, The middle aged man folds up his newspaper and shamelessly begins to listen in on our conversation.

Booky nose by now has give up on his book and is actually smiling and offering minimal encouragers "umm hmm.." and all. The newspaper gentleman explains from across the way that the lake is actually a favorite spot to "spot some" if you know what I mean.... Hence the Elwin encounter he explains further. But even he is amused by the singing. I offer him the empty seat next to the girls and he ambles over.

"Why didn't you ask him to sing No Woman No Cry?" (Girl 1)

"Or even Don't Worry Be Happy?"(Girl 2)

"I wasn't thinking! Buffalo Soldier is the first song that popped in my head." (Me)

"He is most well known for that one..." (Swiss newspaper man)

Grin (Booky nose)

And ENTER friend who I was waiting for. He stands a while and looks at the scene before him. Me on the sofa with Booky Nose. Girl 2 next to me on the other side. Girl 1 across from Girl 2. And Newspaper man across from me. All chattering away...

I see him and wave him over and proceed to introduce him to everyone by name and explain who they are and what they do. He sits down and asks me in Urdu- (You ran into your friends in Geneva?) (No no silly, I just met them here- they're cool aren't they?) (You can't be left alone for a minute without getting into the middle of something can you?) (You haven't even heard the half of it...)

We all have a nice chat after. He is regaled with the Elwin incident and there is much debate over whether No Woman No Cry would have been a better choice of song. After a while the debate swings to the best chocolate in Switzerland. The three females, myself included, demand a single pick. The three Geneva residents, the gentlemen, unanimously agree- Martel.

We make our farewells and head on out to dinner. My friend looks at me and rolls his eyes.

"What?"

"I've been in Geneva six months and I know two people! I leave you alone for half a day and you know half the town..."

I offer a pout. A fake one ;)

He just keeps on walking, shaking his head.

:P

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Now you can write your own dramas and act in them as well.

This sort of incident could never have happened to me--because I'm a grad student and can't afford Starbucks (and I drink tea, not coffee). :P

I'm surprised Starbucks is popular in Switzerland; I thought the whole idea behind the chain was to market the European small cafe experience to elitist Americans.

Unknown said...

why duzn shahnaz eva jus come by and sit next to me...

why duzn.. any lady do that for that matter...

dats what i wonder... lol

but yea.. it is so much easier to just start off in a foreign country... just hav a convo... find something common like english... and... even make great friends... !!!

Unknown said...

oh u would b surprised mouse me friend... starbucks is found everywhere... from da sushi and soya smelling plazas of japan to of course.. good ol america...

and... secondly... its more of a cultural/social thing rather than jus da coffee nowadays... its part of a routine for most people... specially new yorkers and many americans... and even londoners... da mornin starbucks/costa visit is a must... and then you hav those writers who thrive on da starbucks experience !!!

Anonymous said...

I know Starbucks is everywhere. I curse whenever I see one, and usually I see another one before I stop cursing.

Anyway, I don't know about it being a "must". It's a very clever business though; sell 20 cent coffee for $4.

You know what else is like Starbucks? Whole Foods. Anyway, I'll stop while I still can.

Here's an interesting blog, btw:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

It's pretty funny, and not racist like the title suggests.

Shahnaz said...

Mouse me dear man...

I never drink coffee. (stuff happens when i do!)(I'll have to post on that one too) I am also like most Brits and desis a tea drinker. Earl Gray to be Precise and English Breakfast tea.... (Sam you may roll your eye all you want!) This Starbucks I think was one of three in Geneva. The only reason we picked it as the meeting point was because we were by the lake way across on the other side when my friend had to split... and so he pointed at a large ROLEX sign on top of a building and said there is a Starbucks over there somewhere. Let's meet up there around 5pm.....

I am an avid fan (read lover) of small cafes!

:)

Shahnaz said...

Sam,

I talk to you for hours and you are grumbling about siting? What do think I was doing while talking standing????

eye roll....

:P

Unknown said...

oh shahnaz !!! thats not what i meant... i meant that thing happenin as a random encounter !!!

baqee... as far as brits are concerned... no they prefer pg tips to earl grey.. but yea outside of uk thats what you have to do with... though we hav a guy here who drinks earl grey at work... he is lactose intolerant... lol... kher i wasn really rollin me eyes till u told me to shahnaz... lol...

baqee... mouse dude... (i so feel like callin u mighty mouse... lol)... as far as corporations are concerned... learn to live with it... till you hav to... then create one of your own when you are able enuff... and see how it flourishes... lol.... thats all i can say !!! n i found that website to b a bit off of da mark.. may b more america oriented... a place i am yet to step on !!!

Unknown said...

n oh yea... i hav to agree wid da small cafe thing... also... the whole american diner concept... dats quite good... but if you want real tasty food... a small cafe will def offer you a very comfy cosy place to hav it :) !!!

Anonymous said...

English tea is weak; kind of like their cricket, culture, and morals.

So, I'm confused, you're British as well?

Unknown said...

correction... tea served in countries other than england is weak... and then it is wrongly labelled english tea... lol

would not argue with the cricket bit...

as far as culture is concerned... its not that bad you know... these people have morals... their family values are much better than the ones in pakistan... and i know you may call things like drinkin and all that bad.. .but ek to wo sab pakistan mai bi hota hai... aur without control hota hai... doosra these people are really aware of where the fun begins and ends... and where it turns into trouble for both them and otehrs... which i think is good...

i kno i may sound defensive... but its true... !

Anonymous said...

I meant it as a joke :D. BTW, why would you be defensive? Are you British as well?

I think it might be a Lahore thing. I mean, as a Karachiite, I have no inhibitions about saying that I'm from Karachi and Karachi only. Although I can understand why you guys would hesitate, being from a sleepy, backward little town.

:D

Unknown said...

as well??? I think i am THE british here... lol

hahah... karachiite and all... u kno i love how karachi walay are always tryna hit da lahorees... whereas lahoreez are jus comfy in dere hiphop (mouse read: sleepy) town where we hang out n what not... i find karachiites to be quite racist at times... which is sad... but chalta hai... does not really make much of a difference to anybody does it ???

now i havn been to america ever... but i think bush has ruined it for them across da world... people hav taken a general dislikin to em jus bcz of what mr bush has been upto ... !