Thursday, August 14, 2008

Love letters...

The first one I ever wrote was in 1st grade! It was to Mr. Andrews- my 1st grade teacher. He was a Brit. He had green eyes. I have a weakness for green eyed men! He was so elegant. He always wore crisp collared Oxford shirts with a tie and he smelled so good- like freshness I remember telling my mom. "Mr. Andrews smells like freshness".

"And what does freshness smell like?" my mother had inquired.

"Freshness smells like pine trees and mornings!" I had replied.

I am still reminded of that descriptor by my mom. On occasion she will tell me about that simile that I had come up with. Freshness smells like pine trees and mornings.

So Mr. Andrews always smelled of pine trees and mornings. He had beautiful shiny white teeth. A mouthful of the straightest ones. And he smiled a lot. His shoes were always equally shiny. That is my other weakness- sharply dressed men!

So I listened enraptured, as Mr. Andrews would read from the "Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" and I was enchanted. I would make it a point to sit on the chair next to him and then I would enjoy the morning smell of him all day long. Mr Andrews always brought a Crunchie bar for an after lunch treat. (Crunchies are a yummy chocolate. It is a British brand and comes in golden wrapping paper). He would always slip it into my book bag with a wink and I enjoyed nibbling on it at the end of the day while I watched my brother play football (and it is football NOT soccer!!) and waited for the ride back home.

I wrote him a love letter one night before bed. It went like this,

Dear Mr. Andews

I love yu. You smel nis. I lik yur shus. They ar shiny. I lik yur smily tith.
I love yu very mush.

from
shahnaz

I colored red hearts on it and lots of suns and rainbows. And then I sneaked out of my room and peeped over the staircase. I could hear Frank Sinatra lilting in the hallway. After putting us to bed, my parents always danced to Frank's tunes in the kitchen. I peeked over the bannister and saw them swaying to the music in each other's arms. My dad is a great dancer and he held her close with his hand against my mom's back.(My brother and I would sneak out of our beds often and sit and giggle on the stairs as we watched them dance in the kitchen, unaware that we were spying on them).

I tippy toed into my mother's room to borrow her Estee Lauder Opium and sprayed some on my letter. It made an oily patch! I was a little horrified so I returned to my room and colored the whole patch red. And then it had an oily red patch on it! Sigh....

I went to bed and gave it to Mr. Andrews in the morning anyway. I was very excited as I handed it to him. He opened it and read it and he smiled. Then he looked at me and smiled again.

"Smell it." I told him. "It smells nice!"

He obliged. "It does smell nice." he said and then he put it in his pocket.

I was on cloud nine!

On parent-teacher meeting day while I squirmed about on my bright red plastic chair and my parents tried to keep their long legs in some semblance of dignity on matching blue and yellow ones as we sat with Mr. Andrews, he pulled out my letter.... with the red hearts and suns and rainbows and a big red oily patch!

Uh oh! I thought....

"You have quite a literary young lady here. I would encourage her writing even more...." is what that gracious man said. And then he handed me my letter.

I recall wondering what lite...litery(??)....lite(something).... meant. I smelled the letter. It smelled of Mom's Opium... and fresh mornings. I opened it. Mr. Andrews had made corrections. In his neat writing he had corrected my spelling errors in a shiny green gel pen! Mom and Dad peeked over my head. I think my dad chuckled out loud and mom hushed him.

I sighed....and hugged my dad and hid my face in his smell.(He smelled of cigars and aramis... he smelled of comfort.... he smelled of dad).

Mr. Andrews tapped my shoulder and I looked at him. "You write very well. Keep it up!"

He then went on to my other school work and talked with my parents about stuff.... and that was the end of that.

After the weekend as I sheepishly took my seat next to him in the red plastic chair, he gave me a brand new notebook. "To write my ideas in....." is what he said. "Just whatever comes into my head..."

And that is exactly what I have been doing ever since- writing my ideas- just whatever comes into my head!

(My mother still has that letter- by the way!)
(My Dad actually made a slide of it and on family gatherings it was projected onto the white screen in the den, for all assembled, to view the neat green handwriting that corrected my childish pencil scrawls on a background of red hearts and suns and rainbows and a big red oily patch!- The attempt that was my first love letter.
Of course this mortification was interspersed with other mortification's such as a close up shot of my brother and I as toddlers in the bath tub! And shots of me with my foot in my mouth and my bum in the air as I did a tumble and many such..... Oh, and another equally mortifying letter that I had penned as well- but that is a tale for another day!)

24 comments:

aliskiren said...

This post brought a big smile on my face. It was cute & sweet at the same time. You must be pretty good at writing (love)letters since u got an early start ;)I agree with Mr Andrews you r quite a literary young lady.
I was sitting here working on a presentation, bored & tired..this was just what i needed. Keep writing & keep sharing :)
TH

Anonymous said...

This comment unrelated to your post. Just watched few clips of final episode of alpha bravo charlie on cable network and felt like appreciating your work which was simply superb, a good and natural acting.

Calm Cool said...

that's so cute :)
ur's this post is smells like yummy yummy sweet candies :D

Anonymous said...

so sweet, your post flooded me with memories of my first love letter, written to a blue eyed boy, I remember writing the words Dear Phillip I love you about 200 times on a large piece of paper that my mother and sister found in my shoe!!I remember them closing the door and laughing at my first love, I was humiliated, climbed up the cherry tree in a near by field and cried.
sweet childhood memories...

Shahnaz said...

TH

thanks a bunch! long time no chat.... write me. hope you are well.

hugs

Shahnaz said...

common man

thanks for your appreciation. acting is a passion for me, and it is always nice to hear any positive feedback. i really miss acting....

it was kind of you to stop by and leave a comment. visit again soon.

Shahnaz said...

calm cool....

your comments have been leading me to post after post. i simply must post one on smells now....

hugs

Shahnaz said...

aynah

hope things are better at your end. i have had you in my thoughts and prayers every minute since we chatted.

write me to tell how you are...

hugs.

ps: i was in love with a Phillip in 2nd grade... i'll have to write about that one too.

;)

Anonymous said...

Nice post; you were pretty bold in expressing yourself as a kid :-).

The "smell" part was especially good. I find it really interesting how this sort of stuff works....my apartment here starts smelling *exactly* like our Karachi home every time my mother visits.

Also, I like Crunchie as well; in fact, I like almost all of the British/Swiss chocolate...the stuff here is made by Hershey's and tastes quite different (i.e. bad).

Maybe I'll post a few of my correspondences as well; not love letters (have never written one), but say, something like funny exchanges on IM. However, they're probably too contextual for someone else to appreciate.

Shahnaz said...

mouse

i'd love to see your posts- contextual or not.

and yes... i have always been bold about expressing myself- it gets me into a ton of trouble though. over time i have learned to guage whether or not an expression is even necessary...

even in responses to comments here- there are some that are very tempting... i actually even compose replies to them but then decide not to post and delete the response- after all conflict really does not serve any purpose. and often times people are only looking for conflict to vent out frustrations from other areas in their life- it is a hydraulic model... i choose not to fuel it...let venting be found elsewhere without me being the punching bag.

Unknown said...

the first love letter... (i actually have a link for it somwhere...)... went absolutely wrong...

here it is actually... found it :D

http://geocities.com/smacula/bukwas1.html

feel free to roam about the old website... dat was a time b4 bloggin :) !!!

Unknown said...

and mouse.. i kno why your house smells dat way...

cleaning products... plus spices... !!!

Shahnaz said...

sam

very funny!
loved it....

Unknown said...

heheh.. glad u liked it... unless u being sarcy... lol

Shafaq said...

Yar even at that early age you were descriptive about smells.
Quite impressive, apart from being a cute and decent piece of humor.
I love it.

Anonymous said...

hehehe that was cute!! esp you drawing the hearts and your spelling LOL
i never had a charming male teacher when i was a kid :(

Mannan said...

How can someone be so bold,resolute,innocent and confident at the same time? :P

Guess you have been always like this.
:D

P.S Shahnaaz can you please post some of your older pictures,i remember you said something about posting them and a malfunctioning scanner....
We'd all really love to see how the little Shahnaaz was. =)

Arfan said...

This is one of your best posts :)

Anonymous said...

I am your fan since the days of your alpha bravo charlie. I miss u a lot. I tried to see you once agian but so for failed. Thank u.

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written.. and thanks for sharing such a nice experience .. really put a smile on my face :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Shahnaz.

I never wrote such a letter to my teacher but greeting cards. I still remember there was one I loved the most. He was Sir Abdul Sattar Sahib. He taught me at Comprehensive High School of Sahiwal. He was not only all about good looks and fragrance but more... a lot more. The way he used to teach us, the way he used to help us out, they way he used to inquire about our prayers, they way he used to take us out for exercise and relaxation... He was hell of a man. A true gem. I often meet him whenever I go to Sahiwal from Islamabad.

Great teachers are blessings. They contribute in reshaping our lives. May Allah swt bless such people with immense mercy! Aamin

Anonymous said...

cute..loved reading it:)

Hyper-Threaded said...

Ahhh..... Sounds so nice to read the crisp mix of words that you use, Shahnaz. I thought until now that only my dad was the greatest writer in the world... But I was wrong! You're equally good at writing, expressing what your heart feels, your mind thinks and your eyes see...!

Hyper-Threaded said...

Ahhh..... Sounds so nice to read the crisp mix of words that you use, Shahnaz. I thought until now that only my dad was the greatest writer in the world... But I was wrong! You're equally good at writing, expressing what your heart feels, your mind thinks and your eyes see...!