Friday, September 26, 2008

How to save a life...



Sometime, somewhere.... it happens. We have to save a life. Yours, mine, a stranger's... a life is a life.

I have stood on the brink of hell and looked into the deep maw that seeks to engulf. The despair, the solitude, the absolute dark... Perhaps because I have been there, I see that darkness in another....

No one should have to feel like that. No one should feel like that alone. I see pain everyday. I see tons of it. I see people stuck and lost. I see people in search... of themselves... in search of peace... a brief moment of respite from the turbulent storms of living.

Every now and then I get to see myself in these people. Every now and then I see pain that I can only imagine. And then there are those days where the pain is so big that even the mind has trouble imagining it... and after the session is over... and after the day is done... and the giving of self has occurred... and the process of responsible living has been conducted... in the solitude of the night... in the dark and in the silence... in the moments of awareness does the heart find permission to cry.

To cry for the lost. To cry for the living. To cry for the pain that you have felt. To cry for the pain that you have absorbed from the hurting... all day long... and it mingles with remembered anguish... and it blends in with unimagined horror... and you have a moment of stillness to feel it all... to cry it out... to let it go... to find your center... to breathe in deep... and smell the freshness... of life. The promise of it. And so you nod off into blissful unknowing, as sleep takes over and the balm sets in- to energize, to sooth, to heal... the healer.

I deal in the business of feeling.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

we are all reflections of each other... mere reflections... certain reflections show us the future... others the past...

yet others are just what could hav beens or what we wish could hav been or what we would not want to be...

i think the world revolves around each and every one of us... its such a complex network... you hav to be the center otherwis it jus would nto work...

hmm... too intelligent for a friday evening!... lol !!

Shahnaz said...

my dear dear sam!!!

first comment!!! and yes i agree... your comment uplifted my spirit. thanks and hugs...

long time no chat.... we need o talk. really talk and catch up. it's been too long man!

TehBoogieMonsterMan said...

You're a reflection of me; every word, every feeling that I try to explain and I can't, you just pick the words in my heart that are unknown to my brain and weave them in a beautiful blog-entry. =)

Anonymous said...

it takes a special person to do what you do. on a bad day it can drain one out and on a good one can uplift the spirits.
i think making a difference no matter on how small the scale, is making a difference. a small deed beats a great thought anyday.
you go girl.
love,
TH

Shahnaz said...

apple...

the words are inside you. just listen with your heart... and speak them with your heart too..

a dear friend gave me a copy of Faiz's shaiery... and this is what he inscribed on the jacket for me... i think it may apply to you...

"acha hay kay aql hay pasbaan-e-dil... laikin kabhi issay tanha bhi choor do...."

so happy heart-ing...
hugs!

Shahnaz said...

TH

thanks a bunch woman!