Thursday, October 2, 2008

ACK!!!! help..........


CALLING ALL MY TECHIE PEEPS!!!

This is NOT a fire drill.
It is time.
I NEED you!!

My TV just died... sigh... and I went out looking to buy a new one with My pal Rebbecca in tow. To all those familiar with my $3500 laptop purchase (!!!) (I blame it on the cute green eyed sales guy- who BTW kept inquiring if I was a gamer [ i could be a gamer] and if I was going to be using it to edit movies [movies is my middle name, thinks i...]and whether I needed to work with large quantity data processing [i do social science research- of course i need to process large quantities of data!]...sigh.... i now have a VERY high tech, super computer that i use to blog and photo shop, e mail and facebook from...!!! and i have no clue how to work any of the other "stuff... and fluff") Super sigh... it is the memory of those beautiful eyes that makes it bearable...

But

I digress...

There is the issue of my TV. I need a new one. I went out to buy one the other day... at Circuit City... same place I bought my digi camera... remember .... anyway... who should I see but the same sales guy. Shrimpy fellow... very knowledgeable about techie stuff. (Rebbecca wanders off to go snooze on the comfy couch in front of the magnificently large Screen). Shrimpy he eyes me from afar... he recognizes me, I can tell. He comes over. He half smiles- half chuckles and inquires what I am in the market for. I gulp and tell him,
"My TV died..."
"My condolences..." he offers
I see the teasing mirth in his (not quite so) sincere eyes...
"I need a new one" I state..
"I'm sure" he responds
"I don't know much about them..." I confess
"Oh I believe you" he says much too quickly
"So the thing is..." I start
"Why don't you tell me what's out there?"
"Sure" he takes a breath and we begin...
There are Sony's, Panasonic's, Magnavox's, AKAI's, Sanyo's, LCDs, Plasma's (isn't that a blood component????) My mind is spinning...

I decide on a Sony. Problem is my DVD player is a Panasonic. I express my dilemma to the dude. He does not seem to understand...
"They won't match." I state flatly.
"What won't match?" (dude)
"My TV and DVD player" (me)
"Oh they can still work with each other. They are still compatible. The company doesn't make a difference..." (dude)
"I understand that... but they won't match!" (me)
"I don't get it." (dude)
"You see, the TV will be a Sony and the DVD player and Sound system will be a Panasonic.. It won't match.." (me)

He finally gets it. He looks at me funny, but he understands my meaning... I start to feel very out of place here, but decide to plunge forth without calling JB in a panic to ask him to HELP ME!!!!

We finally find a Panasonic to my liking. It's silver...
"So??" (dude)
"You see..." I hesitate...
"You like it?" (dude)
"Yes... but..." (me)
"But..."(dude)
"(sigh) it's silver..." (me)
"Let me guess- The other stuff isn't silver?" (dude)
"Exactly!" (me) (very enthusiastically... elated that he understands... oh wait... no he doesn't... wait a minute... that is sarcasm i detect... !! ... sigh...)
"Do you have silver DVD players...?" I ask tentatively...
He looks at me hard to see if I'm kidding.
"Will you be looking at silver Surround sound too?" "We have a real deal on them and they're Panasonic..." (dude)

I begin to feel funny in my tummy...

But I go along... We finally find the perfect match. Panasonic. Silver Finish. TV(LCD). DVD(Blue Ray)(whatever that is... sounds like a sting ray... fish? ... oooooohhh sushi would be great for lunch!!!.... focus Shahnaz!) Surround sound system with two sub-woofers (it barks!!??).... He does up the numbers.... $$$$$$... ka-ching! ka-ching!...

My friend Rebbecca strolls by to see if I'm doing okay. Excitedly I show her what I intend to buy... She does the math in her head and then pulls me aside...

"Shahnaz, hon...."(her)
"Yeah"(me)
"Remember how you always tell me to be straight with you..."(her)
"Yeah"(me)
"Well... you see... you have a DVD player and Speakers... you came to get a TV!"(her)
"Yeah"(me)
"Snickerdoodles!!!"(me)
"Yeah" (her)
"DUDE!!"(me)
"I need to get out of here" (me)
"Umm Hmm..." (her)

We leave. Me in a daze... panasonyvox... blood-cells and barking speaker... daze....

"You okay?"(her)
"I need a new TV!" (me)
"I Know" (her)
"My TV died!!" (me)
"I know, hon.. I know...." (her)
"I'm hungry" (me)
"Me too... lunch?" (her)
"OOOhhhhh oooooohhhh SUSHI!!??" (me)
"Sushi sounds good!" (her)
"We should probably bury my dead TV" (me)(chuckling... :P)
"You make me laugh!" (her)(laughing)
"I know... I can't help it..." (me)(laughing)
"It's the "ness" you know... the "Shahnaz-ness"..." (me) (laughing!)
"I agree. I love your "ness"!" (her)(laughing also)
"I still need a TV" (me) (very seriously)
"You still need one" (her) (also very seriously)
"We'll look...after we bury the old one...." (me)
"And eat" (her)
"We do need sustenance to stay strong. Sushi! Blue (sting) Ray Sushi! Sushi that barks! (sub woofs!! to be exact!) and has Plasma!" (me)

Lots of laughter... (me and her)



I still need a TV!!!!


I need help!

HELP!!

gulp!

24 comments:

hasan said...

Can you wait till the Black Friday?

Unknown said...

hon... give me your budget... give me a picture of your other surrounding things... and i will find something on bestbuy which you can order... sound good???

ps... blue ray is a higher form of dvd... remember we used to have vcds before dvds... well da next stage is called blue ray....

woofers... they are the ones that produce the bassy sounds... so if u eva go to a club where you can FEEL the drums shakin u... that is woofers woofin at u...

also comes a thing called tweeter which produce the shrill end of sounds... high frequency ones...

surround sounds goes real well... specially if you watch movies...

umm... wat else wat else...

yea on the tv...

jus a few tips... has to has to has to be hd ready... has to hav a few scart leads... there are ones out which you can actually connect to your wireless internet... so you can watch things like youtube vdos etc or even stuff on your lappy using your pc... the higher the resolution of the tv.. the better the picture quality...

the best name in lcd tvs at the moment is samsung... then comes sony... then comes panasonic... but they are all ace...

hmm... wat els... wat els... yea... gimme a budget... gimee the size you want... preferably a picture of the old setup so i know where u wanna fit it in... and let sami do the work for u

(your official techi guide :) )

Deja Vu said...

hi, don't know if my earlier reply has been received, so trying once more
Well, first of all U have to look for ur constraints/deciding factors, like size, budget, space availibility, color, decor, etc.
my liking wud be for Sony Bravia
here are some links

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644483777

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=563

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=28844

and i don't recoomend changing other accessories now, as u already have old ones, just concentrate/expend on the TV at the moment.
but still if u have lots of money to spare, then u could checkout these links as well

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665468245

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368427

happy shopping

Anonymous said...

Define your budget range ... because you can easily buy a TV anywhere from $800-1000 to $4000 ...

Anonymous said...

aww you are so cute ... i love you

Fahad said...

after reading your blog i mist confess your sense of humor is just WICKED !!!
u better get into stand up comedies as well :)...m sure that way blue ray ...plasma tvs n all r gonna come along with big sponsors to go about ...
p.s- dave chappelle has just left the stand up comedy business n stuff... so u got a good shot at it to come up wid a BANG ;) !!!
p.s- after wat sami has come up with the technical stuff n all ... its better to listen to him :) ... but if u ever need help in choosin a car or a cellphone then Mr. owner of an automobile showroom + telecom engineer is here to help u out in it :-D !!!
tee cee..njoy ... n BEST OF LUCK !!!
p.s.s- this time around go to some other shop where the salesman has got non-greenish eyes :p ....

hasan said...

Yeah..truly hilarious Shahnaz!!! I love your versatility.

Deja Vu said...

hi, do let us know what U finally bought.
if possible, a picture of the new system in its place wud be nice

Anonymous said...

*falling off my chair, laughing hard*
and i thought i am the only techno illiterate :D :D :D

Deja Vu said...

so, what was the new purchase finally.

no new blog?

Anonymous said...

Assalam-u-alaikum
Yesterday, we I reached home from my office, my wife told me about the Nadia Khan Show so I watched its recording at night and it was really so good to hear ur voice after about 10 years last night as I watched the Nadia Khan show's recording. You guys really rock. I always say that ABC was the best ever drama any TV channel could ever produce.
Can I be in your facebook? Hope you wont mind. Pls also share with me the facebook IDs of Faraz, Abdullah and Qasim.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Assalam-u-alaikum
Adnan

Anonymous said...

Why do they die? Shahnaz my blackberry died the other day :'(

Anonymous said...

Title: "Sialkot"



Tagline: War Kills Human Innocence



Having shared bulk of work in their school team's first inter-school championship triumph, Elhaan Khan and Ani Kumar, best friends and outstanding hockey players of Peshawar high school number two, now sit their sight on the ultimate glory of wearing the blue shirt for what could be a united India's national hockey team at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics. Alas! Their dream turns sourer when the cruel British Empire gets India pieced into two and leaves. Anil's parents migrate to Jalandhar. And after four years of partition, Anil gets commission in the Indian Army to feed his family in crunch. Elhaan steps into PMA to do Anil. As they go through ranks in the armed forces, the forgotten dream of reunification comes true when both find themselves fighting one-to-one after running short of men at scorching Sialkot front in 1965 Pak-India War.

Shahnaz, don't u think movie made on this story would grip oscar award? or u think i have gone insane totally?

Zulfiqar Gul,
Swat - Pakistan

Unknown said...

@zulfiqar ... sounds good man... but... shahnaz does not make movies i think... !

@sikander.... its normally heat issues ma man... and lack of quality.. oh yes... u may buy a sony or a samsung or a blackberry... but in order to keep prices down on a lotta places the quality has to be kept down... not below standards tho... but... that means your device becomes more fragile to heat... or... maybe if it fell to the floor... a connection broke... lol... sorry jus being my geeky self but thats the only two problems electronics hav... either breakage throo mishandling (neva happens to tv)... or over heatin makin components die!

Shahnaz said...

adnan

thanks man! i loved doing th show nd you guys make it so worthwhile!

Shahnaz said...

zulfiqar

the plot sounds awesome. go chase that dream down man... go make it real! you can do it! make the movie.....

Shahnaz said...

sikander

i know.... the death of a gadget is a traumatic event!
i may have to blog about it.

thanks pal.
tc

Shahnaz said...

sami

you and your gadgets... eyeroll.... just like i can't help jumping into therapist mode... you cannot help gadgeting away....

take care dear friend
hugs

Unknown said...

n tahts why my other blog is called gadgettin away... lol !!!

yea i kno.. m such a geek.. i hav the habit of spoilin such moments with comin up with facts and reasons... it does not work for many.. n for others its like oh my wow... is that what happens... :D

but then agains that who i am :D !

Shahnaz said...

sam

and perfect just exactly as you are...!

stay cool
stay gadgety
stay techie geeky
LOVE THAT about you!
lol
hugs

Unknown said...

awwww.... fankoo fankooo

that earns u a supercalifrejjilisticexpialidoshus hug :D !!!

Unknown said...

awww... thankoo... :D

wish every one thought of me that way...lol!

umaima said...

hi Shahnaz this is a huge fan of yours from Pakistan..since u r active here so i am availing this oppurtunity........i have heard that in real life u r quite similar to the character u played in ABC is it true?

Hasan said...

Am one of those "Generation X" guys... who grew up watching cartoons like Mickey Mouse, Pink Panther, Captain Planet, Jhonny Quest and dramas like Dhuwan, Guest House, and "ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE".
I have just come to realize that I am living in past.. living those awesome, cool, absolutely amazing days... just not able to accept the Pakistan of 2008... where is that Pakistan of 1998... i just crave for my mid-teens... those days when we used to scream "SHAHNAAAAAAZ" at the top of our vocal cords...
ever since all of my comrades have been chasing SHAHNAZes of our lives...
Huge impact you made...

We have carried with us that ABC charisma thru these last 10 years...

you know the aura that YOU have around you ... that "magic" hit millions of Pakistani Generation X girls and guys

...

As for me... I just cant get out of the past... perhaps those were the BEST DAYS of our lives...