Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ba-Kak!!

So folks....

Get this! My little darling daughter is a RIOT!!!

She collects feathers see... and well she was at her riding lesson the other day (horses and riding are a passion for both of us)(Just an FYI I did fabulous on my two foot jump course today BTW, and Scarlet- the horse was just beautiful and totally awesome!!)But anyway back to the feathers...

Cindy the instructor, has goats and chickens in addition to the horses on her farm.

SO my little one sees a feather she likes in the chicken coop. Now the little kids love to go collect eggs from the chicken coop. (Me on the other hand, I would not be caught dead near those chickens). (The other day Cindy wanted my help in gathering the chickens that had escaped from the coop..... so Meena (one of the riders I ride with) and I were designated to shoo them back into the pen. Problem was they terrified me and I swear that the rooster had a murderous look in his red eye! He charged me more than once and I fled halfway down the farm with him in close pursuit and Meena and Cindy yelling instructions while doubled over with laughter. I did not think it was funny!!!!!)

But back to Bubba jee... So she sees a feather she likes in the chicken coop while she is collecting eggs. The only problem is that the feather is still attached to the chicken! Did that faze her? Not one bit. The determined little woman sits down close to the chicken and very deliberately PLUCKS the said feather out of the chicken's tail!!!!


"Mommy, it(chicken) went Ba-Kak!!! and then ended up squishing the egg it was sitting on!"
she relates to me in the car.

"The yolk of the egg looked gross and slimy and it(chicken) waddled away really fast"

I do a double take and give her a quick glance in the rear view mirror. She is sitting content and happy all buckled up in her car seat and in her hand is her trophy.

One long white feather!

She gives it a stroke and then tells me that she started posting on her horse today and that she did her first jump.

"Isn't it pretty, Mommy?" she asks as she holds up the feather for my inspection in the rear view mirror....

"It went Ba-kak!!!" I say

"Yeah, it was very loud!" she adds....

"That's an awesome feather!" I state. It is. It was plucked from the maw of danger... well the ahem, "hind end", of danger.....

"Were you scared?" I ask

"No. I just put one hand gently on it's back and then quickly pulled it out from it's tail and it went Ba-Kak! and waddled away"....

Ladies and gentlemen....
My daughter....
Mighty huntress....

"It went Ba-Kak!!" I state and chuckle to myself as I turn into my driveway....

16 comments:

farah said...

I have seen your daughter's pics in one of the albums...I can very well imagine her saying and doing what you just narrated in your spellbinding style. Amber seems to be an intelligent and a very confident kid.....I guess inherited from you....but pay lots of attention as we psychologists always debate the issue of nature vs nurture ....I feel Amber needs a lot of love, warmth and trusting environment around her....tc Farah

Shahnaz said...

ahhhh

nature vs nurture

the quintessential debate!

so you are a mental health human too i gather?

farah said...

yes...i am currently preparing for the board exam to get my license....since I was introduced to your blog by someone I just am mesmerized by your creativity....but the most interesting thing is that it touches a chord that one can only feel but can't explain...and I don't get overwhelmed so easily
This is very strange that we never got an opportunity to get to know each other when we were related and now in a different situation I not only know you better but have developed such a respect for your work..."Go Girl!!!You Rock"!!!

Shahnaz said...

farah

were we related? how? tell me... I am soooooooooo curious now. I am running the many links through my head and have come up with more than one so I need your confirmation....

and if you like that post can be kept private. just tell me at the end of it "don't publish" or some such and those that are specifies not to be published never get published...

I await with bated breath!

Shahnaz said...

ps

btw good luck on the licensing board.... those are tough! i so do not look forward to mine once i graduate!

Z Sattar said...

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.”
Pablo Picasso

I hope she has enough innocence being a child and enough boldness being a grownup child to become an strong artist ( may be she wanna do some artistic thing with feathers :D )

Unknown said...

being kids we r fearless... we are all born fearless... before elders n parents introduce us to them...

the boogie monster... all those r ideas implanted in us by elders...

n as we grow so do our fears... !!

thats why u see kids runnin around in the dirt not carin about how dirty their clothes get... chasin farm animals n pettin them without care... or playin with fire as it is !!!!

Intellectual Solitude said...

Amber says:
"No. I just put one hand gently on it's back and then quickly pulled it out from it's tail and it went Ba-Kak! and waddled away"....

Hehehe....I love your style of writing Shahnaz, But your bubba jee is do haath agay from you :P
as Farah says she has inherited it all from you...im becoming a fan of bubba je..:), let's see what her next hunting adventure is!!

PS: Shahnaz, i'm really curious to know one thing. there was a scene in ABC, where you delivered some dialouges in Pashto language...I want to know do you undersatnd or speak pashto? or was that all ratta, with the help of Qasim :)? i dont think so coz you spoke pashto so coherently and without stopping, i think one of your parents is pashto aspeaking, right?
Take care until next time
da khuday pa amaan :P

Shahnaz said...

farah

i e mailed you... good to hear from you sis. get in touch ASAP!!! loads to catch up on.

Hugs to everyone at your end.

Shahnaz said...

zeeshan and sam

i agree every child is an artist. and you know sam i actually say that kids are born so perfect and then we (grown ups) ruin them!

thanks mates for the constant support and comments. that is what makes writing so enjoyable the interactive part of it.

take care fellas!!

Shahnaz said...

peppermint

"zay poaygama chatu say vay"!!

but seriously that is about all the pashto I know. that and "ZAy ma num Shahnaz da!"

But here's the deal. I am a pathan.... a very proud one. My dad is a balouchi orakzai pathan. very proud of that heritage.

my mom is a punjabi...

at home we spoke swahilli, english, luganda, and urdu.

mom and dad spoke punjabi when they wanted to talk about stuff they didn't want shahamat, my bro, and i to understand.... oh and also when mom got really mad she switched to yelling at us in punjabi! mom did not speak pashto so it was not really spoken in the home. but dad speaks it fluently....

i miss my family now. speaking about them makes it so hard....

so please pray for them too. my dad and is not doing so well health wise these days....

but that's the deal peppermint!
take care
hugs and much love

Deja Vu said...

prayers for ur Dad's speedy recovery.

Shahnaz said...

usman

thanks so much brother... and while in Africa enjoy my continent!!

Deja Vu said...

ur continent.a lovely one
btw.i've been to ur birth town, just for a couple of hours....

Intellectual Solitude said...

"zay poaygama chatu say vay"!!
God, Shahnaz! you have learned the tricky and wicked sentence!!! hahahahaha.....
I really enjoyed it!

"kha na us waya, singa yeh? tabyet de kha de? shahba, us ta da de translation uka pa angrezay ke..."(Pashto) hehehehehe!!!

And Im a pathan too, :P..and im proud being one! Ur Dad is Aurakzai, the tribal!(tribal rocks, im also a tribal:P dat's y!)

and May Allah gives health to your dad, Ameen!!!! Don't worry, He'll be fine like always,:) cheer up!

Faheem Ijaz said...

Faheem
Shehnaz, We r very happy to see u again after a long time. u have changed completey, Specially your hair style. u r looking soo sweet. I think now u r living in USA. Well be happy and take care.