Monday, April 6, 2009

Demons

My genre of choice is fantasy fiction.
A die hard fan of Tolkien and C.S Lewis, my next favorite is Terry Brooks.
My favorite series- His Shannara books

Interestingly, when I read- I read more than what is written. Words take on meaning and symbols and life... beyond what is penned, beyond that intended, beyond what was the author's intent. I make the words mine. I make the meaning mine. I make the book mine...

Which is why, after I have read a book I cannot part with it. It belongs to me. I am attached, connected, linked to it. Pieces of me are embedded within. Pieces of it I carry with me. Friends who know me well- know this of me. I never return a book loaned to me. I don't do libraries. They just would not work... I have a hard time giving away books. Because I seldom find people worthy enough to pass along the words to. I seldom find someone who can appreciate, the message, the wisdom, the beauty within... People some days just don't see the beauty, the depth, the energy, the magic- the sheer magic of words.

WORDS!

Powerful
Beautiful
Magnificent

words...

I have always been mesmerized by them. Ever since I first became acquainted with words, they have affected me. They have touched, tormented, teased. They have lingered like a fragrance or a repulsive stench. They have echoed over and over, ceaselessly... unending in the recesses of my brain.

They take on meaning...

And so did those penned by Terry Brooks
In Elfstones of Shannara- His second book in the Shannara series

"In ages past the great elves of old
Captured all the demons
And shut them out
Locked them behind
A wall of
Forbidding!
And layered with magic
A tree was created
The Ellcrys
So long as it lived
Forbidding was strong...
Demons in check
Remained trapped forever
But The Ellcrys could weaken...
And when that happened
The demons break loose
And chaos prevails
The Dagda Mor- mightiest of all
The Reaper- a killer
The Changeling- shapeshifter taking on the guise of those trusted and known
They rampaged
Destroyed
Peace
And goodness
Until
A journey is made
To the Bloodfire of existence
A journey of
Strength and goodness
Sacrifice and love
Help and wisdom
And TRUTH shall
Prevail!
Subdue
The raging demons
And restore
The Ellcrys
The balance
The peace and harmony
A rebirth occurs
The forbidding restored
The demons are conquered
And caged again
Behind the walls of
Forbidding
At least- for a while..."

How similar is life
How honest the analogy
How real the demons
How difficult the battle
How true the sacrifice
How expected the journey
How beautiful the Ellcrys
How magical the parallel

The words
The words
The meanings within
The truth
The wisdom
The beauty
The lesson

Did the author know what he penned
Did he know the magic within
Did he see the demons himself

How could he not
How can WE not

Words
Stories
Truth
Reality

We all have demons
We all wage battle

I did mine
A little while ago
The forbidding
It crumbled
I saw a glimpse of the weakening
In a labyrinth one day
The Ellcrys was seen
And the truth began
Slowly to appear...
The reaper took a swipe
The Changelings emerged
The Dagda Mor pushed...
The forbidding came down
A battle ensued
I waged
And
I raged
I journeyed a little
To the Bloodfire
The Ellcrys must now be restored
A sacrifice is made
What was...
Must cease to be
As
What is...
Begins to emerge
Until then
There is the journey
Into No-Man's land
But with companions
Strong and true
"Wil Ohmsford by Amberle Elessedil's side"
The rebirth will occur
The Ellcrys shall be restored
The demons shall be caged again
And peace
Once again will reign

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We all have demons
We all wage battle"

it echoes!

Barooq said...

You know what is the problem with fantasy fiction?
Its fantasy fiction.

We are coincidental beings, but fantasy fiction tickles us right at the heart of the desire to make it all mean something, the desire to believe in something larger than life ( A function of unfounded narcissism our kind has in abundance ).

Problem is... Nothing means anything. But then again, what does it matter if for 70 odd years, we insignificants revel in our delusions.

That is to say, we dont HAVE demons... Demons dont have us... We are what we are, a by product of raw desire and society's ethical and religious baton.

P.S
I see you are writing a lot... Thats great

Unknown said...

i love libraries tho...

for once i hav formed a connection i want others to form it with me...

pass it on...

you accumulate... i spread !!!

Anonymous said...

You can search on ebookee.com all novels books etc .

http://www.ebookee.com/search.php?q=Terry+brooks

Anonymous said...

You can search on ebookee.com all novels books etc .

http://www.ebookee.com/search.php?q=Terry+brooks