Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Gooster at Chilli's--

It all started with my office-

I need to decorate my office see, and so I was on the hunt for an office chair (I need one really bad! The one I have at the office just sucks!!) So I called Rebbecca and asked her to join me in my decorating hunt. She came over right away and off we went to Walmart- home of cheap stuff!

Well the thing is, it was already 8pm by the time we got there... and we finally found the office chairs- problem is they were up on a shelf, at least the assembled ones were. Now HOW is one to buy an office chair without actually having sat in one???

LOGIC! Right...?

So this is what a "Shahnaz" moment is, ladies and gentlemen... pay very close attention now...

I climbed up the shelf! YES INDEED!

And sat in them all...with poor Rebbecca alternating between fits of laughter, prayers for my safety, and scolding in a most mother hen like manner!!!!
A few curious (and cute to boot) gentlemen passed by the aisle and gave me some VERY curious glances. One winked and one stopped to ask me out- ACK!!

I know... I was in fits of laughter by this time too... and according to Rebbecca I looked glowy-like because of all the laughing....

...sigh... it was quite a spectacle!

So anyway back to the chairs... I sat in them all. They increased in comfort as the price range went up! I have my eye on a beautiful black leather one...

But Rebbecca tells me they are on sale at the Office Depot! So after we had asked the nice man who asked me out- to help put the chair I wanted in the cart, we doozied on to the artsy fartsy stuff....

No GO!

Nothing was my style. Very run of the mill stuff... I looked at a few lamps and a water fountain and then decided that Target may be a better buy!

We abandoned the cart near the plants and silk flowers and things and made our way to Target via some very inner city roads that I will NEVER find again because they were short cuts that Becks knows and I do not!!

Anyway, we get to Target and we are giggling over our girly chit chat- She likes my new hairstyle. She says the red suits me as does the cut!

"I could never pull off Red" she says
"I'm too nice for it!!!"

"Oh and I'm not nice??" I ask indignant

Lots of laughter from the both of us...

"No, what I mean is it's a feisty color!"

"I'm a feisty Shahnaz!"

"I know you are".....

So we get into the store and right there in front of me is this gorgeous, flowy, chiffon, beach wrap dress!!! That's it.

All chairs and offices are forgotten momentarily as I scoop it up and head into the changing rooms to see if it fits- It does...

This precipitates a beach trip plan, and off we go to find flip flops and stuff... and pretty soon a record player catches my eye- yes a record player!! I just got an autographed record from Fool's Gold- an awesome Afro Funk band that I heard recently on my trip to San Francisco to visit JB!

The band's bass player got it signed by the band for me and even invited us back stage- JB and Aamer were spoil sports and did not want to go backstage, until they saw the groupies..., but that is a different story! Anyway, by the time they got a peek of the backstage crowd, Sila was on and wild horses would not drag me backstage at that point 'cos I love Sila's music! I heard him once when I as in Kenya- (PS- I have his autographed CD too!)

Anyway... where was I? Oh yeah the record player... Well, I almost get that but then Rebbecca comes to show me these new "Wisp" mini tooth cleaning kits.

Now have any of you seen the Wisp advertisements??

I burst into laughter and tell her that here is no way in hell I am going to kiss her even if she does have Wisps! So we get into this whole rigmarole of play acting and tomfoolery and are having this entire conversation (me in my Eastern European accent) and we get to the next aisle, and there is this middle aged man standing there, who has been listening to everything.... and his jaw is on the floor!
I turn red as a tomato! Becks and I burst into laughter and we run off as fast as we can until we get to the Eiffel Tower!

Yes Target sells these nifty little Eiffel Tower replicas!

"Ooooooooh" I say,

"I can do a Paris theme for my office!"

"I can frame my black and white Paris photos, and put up my paintings from there and it'll look so chic!"

Thus the theme of my office evolves!

So momentarily forgotten is the beach trip, and the kiss, and we are back on track to office shopping...

We pay and head out and then we get hungry!

And this is where it happens! Right there is Chilli's!

Ironically I have eaten at Chilli's only once. And that was with the said man who most recently broke up with me! So I get all mopey and dopey and Rebbecca insists we need to eat there because she wants the southwestern egg rolls and so do I!

Anyway, we get in, get seated, and she needs to run to the loo! Stay away from the phone, she warns me.... do NOT text him while I am gone! I do so anyway to let him know I am at Chilli's...

I am mid texting when our waiter shows up and says something that sounds rather odd!

"Excuse me?" I say...

And he repeats himself... and I finally understand the man! I don't know if it was the state I was in while texting the guy, or what, but it is a rather hilarious situation because he sounded like gibberish! I kid you not!! And I say so- and the waiter, good natured soul, laughs too and we get things sorted out and the order is placed!

Anyway Rebbecca returns and after venting my misery and hearing her bliss at Antonio, the Romanian guy she is seeing, we sit and sigh for a moment until she pulls out the Wisps to show them to me again! So I declare most self righteously that I refuse to kiss her no matter how many Wisps she's got!! Our waiter returns just at that moment and it is quite a scene as we burst into laughter at the poor man's face! We explain the joke... he is most intrigued and stays to chat. He is Matt, from Greece and he confides that we are his most funny customers of the day and he is grateful for fun and laughter!

So back to the Wisps! The commercial for them is rather cool... and when Matt returns, we show them to him and we have quite a conversation of the pros and cons of the nifty little things! We are quite the entertainment of all the diners around us by now!

Anyway, our girly chit chat continues with both Rebbecca and myself talking about stuff...

-not to each other
-not with each other

but just talking...,

This, dear folks, is the quintessential "fireplace" dialogue and one of the primary modes of Beck's and my communication.

She speaks what is on her mind, I speak what is on mine.... neither is actually attending or responding to the other.... we are merely stating!

It is awesome!

Matt is most intrigued... and comments on it and in fact so are several other people. We dialogue over men, relationships, love and stuff in general and it is a most interesting evening with the case of the "Gooster" too!

The "Gooster", BTW, is this odd looking thing sitting behind Rebecca's head.

It is some sort of wooden sculpture/planter and looks like a duck/goose AND it has a rooster's comb! So it is essentially a Gooster!

We ask Matt if he think it looks like a gooster... he agrees, as do several other diners around us!

It is official-

The odd critter at Chilli's is a "Gooster!"

After dinner, Rebbecca and I head into the women's room to try the Wisps! They are quite interesting and great actually. Mini toothpick/brushes/mouthwashy thingies....
Perfect for on-the-go moments and when you need to kiss ;)

LOL! And no! Rebbecca and I did NOT kiss!

Au Revoir folks...
Until next time-

10 comments:

Mannan said...

I Love it !
After such a long time The Old Shahnaz is Kicking in !

You just reminded me of the 'french broad dude ranch' and that crazy rat tale and that Congraduation day ! :P :P
Remember ? ! :P

And by the way..

Ana ishti Hub Hub ! :D

Ali said...

S.. the "old" shahnaz leaves out important details and tells incomplete stories and tortures the reader leaving him to wonder.. SOOO DID SHE OR DID SHE NOT GET THE CHAIR, THE RECORD PLAYER, THE FAKE TOWER IN THE END?? ...lol.. not that its critical.. but then again it can be..

or wait did I miss that somewhere:P

Ali said...

and i just noticed you changed the picture..good..

Shahnaz said...

Manan...

hehehe... yeah i did sorta lose myself there for a bit! but fear not i am making my way back!

just broe up- give me a break!

Shahnaz said...

Ali-

got the chair and the tower- and a table fountain... still need plants and some frames for the photos- have a rug and yes i shall post some pics once the room is done up!

FAISAL RIAZ said...

Great post Shahnaz. After many days, I read a post which has your true energy and high spirits. ShahnaaAaaAaaaz must be very happy in shaping up her life and her office. Good luck to her.

Ali said...

ok.. straight after graduation.. what kind of an office/job allows such koolness.. i mean wow.. WOW.. my cube like structure will not allow a RUG, "PLANTS", etc let alone a tower on my desk..

Shahnaz said...

you say "mashallah! shahnaz!"

lol...

Ali said...

S one mashaallah for you per day only... sorry.. oh wow its 1202... its a new day its a new dawnn...mashallah! shahnaz!

Mubashir Ahmad said...

oh its good to see u shahnaz,a fantastic lady who appears as an idol in ABC,i like ur performance in ABC and really want a girl who can resemble like ur character in ABC.