Sunday, June 28, 2009

Labyrinth--




Life's journey... convoluted, complex, confusing, and yet so beautiful and precious. The concept of the labyrinth is a part of many spiritual traditions, said to be reflective of one's journey through life and time. As we grow, as we learn, as we hurt and as we heal we are in a constant state of movement toward becoming the self that we are meant to be- Arriving at a place we are destined for. But that is not to say that we do not have choices to make. Choices exist. And difficult ones at that. Sometimes we make the right ones...sometimes we make the wrong ones. And through the making we arrive at learning and growth. But between the choice, the making of it and the growth lies a vast chasm- of awareness, pain, glory, acceptance. That is the labyrinth.

At the center lies the awareness. We finally become aware of the what, the which, and the who... That is the turning point and we must choose and we must decide. Beyond that lies the acceptance and the journey back to the beginning which is in fact the end or vice versa.

Labyrinths are often mistaken for mazes. A labyrinth is not a maze. It is not a puzzle. It is merely a path. A convoluted, often confusing path... but it only goes one way. Things are not always as they seem in a labyrinth. In fact things are not always as they seem in life. Yet metaphorically or not, the labyrinth is what we must decide to walk, IF we actively seek our destiny.

I watched Bowie's labyrinth when I was younger. I fell in love with the movie and with Bowie too... I have always had a weakness for musicians and bad boys and he epitomized both. I learned myself through that movie when I was a teen... I watched it tonight with my daughter--

We both watched and learned our own little lessons. She her 9 year old ones...me my 31 year old ones... It is fascinating how most complex life situations are in fact combinations of the simplest ones. I blundered through them all, in my head while watching Bowie's labyrinth, tripping up and stumbling along life's journey and arriving at truths and strengths heretofore untapped. I couldn't help but notice how Bowie's labyrinth has a lot in common with Pan's labyrinth (another one of my favorite movies by the way...) and in watching I learned... and in learning I became aware. Through awareness I accepted. Now comes the part where I turn around and walk back to the end which is in fact the beginning. Of a new life journey, a new story, a new horizon, a new me....

But self awareness is a lengthy process. It does not come fast and it does not come easy. As I had stated once before. There is the me I was... and the me I am to be... and in between is no man's land. And the no man's land is the journey. The no man's land is the labyrinth. The labyrinth is discovering and discovery means the me is blurry. For the moment at least, I am blurred. But I am a seeker and I am seeking and yes... oh yes... I am finding...

It comes slowly but it comes.

Learning.
Awareness.
Understanding.
Acceptance.
Growth.
And lastly...
Peace.
And a quiet mind and spirit.

That is my mecca.
That is my destination.
I have been there before.
I shall find it again.

It comes in little spurts.
It may not last long.
But every time it lasts a little longer.

And the journey...it is the best part...because that is where life happens.

Happiness is not a destination. It is merely the surprise along the way... And it happens when you least expect it- as long as you are open to it. As long as you don't expect to hold on too tight, or too long... Happiness happens everyday...

And even as the world falls down (as it often does- so many times in a single lifetime) As the pain sweeps through...makes no sense for you- Every thrill has gone...And even though my heart has been such a fooled heart...And even as the world falls down...

I will stand again, I will live again, I will love again- One day...





There's such a sad love
Deep in your eyes, a kind of pale jewel
Open and closed within your eyes
I'll place the sky within your eyes

There's such a fooled heart
Beating so fast in search of new dreams
A love that will last within your heart
I'll place the moon within your heart

As the pain sweeps through
Makes no sense for you
Every thrill has gone
Wasn't too much fun at all
But I'll be there for you-oo-oo
As the world falls down
Falling
(As the world) Falling down
Falling in love

I'll paint you mornings of gold
I'll spin you Valentine evenings
Though we're strangers till now
We're choosing the path between the stars
I'll lay my love between the stars

As the pain sweeps through
Makes no sense for you
Every thrill has gone
Wasn't too much fun at all
But I'll be there for you-oo-oo
As the world falls down
Falling
(As the world falls)
Falling
Falling
As the world falls down
Falling
Falling
Falling
Falling in love
As the world falls down
Falling
Falling
Falling
Falling in love
As the world falls down
Makes no sense at all
Makes no sense to fall
Falling
As the world falls down
Falling
Falling
Falling in love
As the world falls down
Falling
Falling
Falling in love
Falling in love
Falling in love
Falling in love
Falling in love


14 comments:

Z Sattar said...

Emotions and feelings are crazy....I wish we have control over them

shattered said...

i loved this one shahnaz....
God give u strength

Wick said...

Labyrinth: soundin lyk Paulo Coelho !!!!

M. Shuaib Khan said...

Aah, good read. While you discover the unknown you to yourself, we got to know a bit of the unknown you to us. :P

And I haven't watched both of the movies. May be if someday I'm in the mood of watching a more-than-just-a-light-comedy-movie, I'll definitely give it a shoot. Though IMDB says Labyrinth is just an adventurous movie. :/ In which case I might watch it just about soon. Though that does make it a bit of a misfit into your difficult-take-on-life blog post. :P :)

And yea we still miss you from ABC. You were kinda annoying in it though. :D

Take cares.

Ali said...

I read this two days back.. i read this a again and again yesterday... and then i read this today..every single time it made me wander off into a different moment from the past..
I try to read through the words to see the source of such vivid expression..i loved the idea..this way of viewing life and maybe while accepting the past with such honesty.. anticipating the new beginning with this soothing peace this calmness surrounded by this faith in oneself.. the definition of happiness.. the realization of how short lived it is at times..I believe S and i have compelling evidence here that this post might just be your best work..but i want it to have an ending..in the coming years... i want you to complete it..but if we go by the heart and soul of the post.. the ending would only mean a new beginning..and i blabber on...

p.s. this was exceptionally thought provoking..

Shahnaz said...

Ali-

i enjoy our chats... you have made me smile a lot in the past few weeks when smiles were needed. for that and for so much else-

i thank you dear friend!

Ali said...

Khazaana khula hai... loot lo..

Anonymous said...

Impressive...

Shahnaz said...

Emotions and feeling "feel" overwhelming and so we call the "crazy" I do too-

truth is they are a part of us and have a value to them and must be accepted and must be felt...

i am learning that one myself these days- and trust me it ain't easy- but it does help and it is good for you in the long run!

Shahnaz said...

amna-

thanks woman- i am there this very moment!

Shahnaz said...

Wick- Paulo Coelho

One of my favorite writers...and yes he does speak of the labyrinth too-

Shahnaz said...

Shuaib-

thanks for visiting--

Between you and me i felt my "character" in ABC was quite annoying too!
Me myself I am VERY annoying in real life- there are days I can't stand myself! lol...

Shahnaz said...

Ali-

There are layers in this one

because there is a process in there and the process gives the impression of differentness each time you read it....

thanks man!

Anonymous said...

good one