Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sex Sells! And why...


This, dear readers, is a copy of my latest "Psychology Today"!

Needless to say it is an attention getter-
I browsed through it during lunch yesterday, glad to have a quiet moment to myself to indulge in reading. There were some very interesting articles in there that caught my attention.

It talks to beauty-
What it means to men and women.
Lets face it. I am a health and beauty fanatic. I like beautiful people and things and I like to put my most beautiful self forward. Granted, it is not the only thing on my agenda daily, but I do attend to my appearance and my dress. I work out like a fiend to stay in shape. I eat healthy and fat in any food is fast becoming my natural enemy. Not only for beauty but also for health reasons. I spend a hefty amount in smell good products, lotions and potions, shampoos, body mists, fragrance sprays, linen sprays, air sprays. I also spend lavishly on my wardrobe. I think nothing of dropping a hefty buck on a well cut jacket or Jimmy Choo's!

Grooming is important to me. I wax, shave, thread, brush, primp, dye, cut, and paint. I sound like a wood floor or a lawn now, don't I? But- and it is a very big but. IT IS WORTH IT.

I feel good. I look good. I smell good. And people notice.

Now I am not saying you have to cater to a specific size constraint. But honestly every one and every size CAN put their best face forward. Pick an outfit that accentuates your physique. Know your best features and draw attention to them. Good hygiene is for you and not others. There is no reason why you should have hang nails and split ends simply because something else in your life took priority. What is a more important priority that YOU??? It is NOT selfishness- It is self care.

Beauty starts with good health- GOOD MENTAL HEALTH!
LOVE THE BODY YOU ARE IN. Appreciate it. Attend to it. Paint it, primp it, work on it. Treat it right. Give it the conditioning, exercise, nutrition, attention, acceptance it deserves. Because YOU are worth it. The pay off is the best reward ever.

And yes- a well groomed, well attended to body ALWAYS gets the deal-

The current issue also spoke to "being too beautiful".

Yes, ladies and gentlemen-there is a cost to beauty-
You will get discriminated AGAINST for being beautiful. I speak from experience. I have been put down for dressing well, for being slender, for being ME. Beautiful people are at a disadvantage sometimes. In terms of evolutionary perspective, we become cave people. There are limited resources out there and we are competing for them. Men/women/attention/love/affection/money/jobs- you name it and we are in the market and in competition for it. But it is a price I am aware I pay sometimes and it is worth it. There are always other alternative options. In a competitive market one must compete and looking good is a universal asset.

We want to deny it. But let's face it. We are all vain. We all love it when we look good. We are all jealous of someone more beautiful than us. We secretly want to look good- but are we willing to pay the price. The price to looking the BEST you is doing the work. It doesn't just happen. You don't roll out of bed, eat chocolate and buttered noodles all day, lay around getting no exercise, and expect to look your best. It won't happen. It takes work, and commitment. Dedication, planning, restraint, delayed gratification- just like everything else in life. Beauty takes WORK!

I stated to a guy I met the other day who was on the phone with me- "I have to get off the phone so I can get changed and hit the gym!" His response, "You don't look like you need to go to the gym!" I chuckled to myself and replied- "You think that and I LOOK like that BECAUSE I go to the gym all the time!"

Later as I puffed and panted through my weights, while my darling angel was in child care, I thought- yes, I look like this and I can run up several flights of stairs without getting winded, and spend my day in high heels, and keep up with a kid and have a strong back to do all the moderately heavy lifting and moving of furniture that I do- I do that all because I bust my ASS at the gym.

My clothes fit better. I have more stamina. I have a strong back and am not complaining of physical ailments. I am in good health. BECAUSE I work out, BECAUSE everything I eat is fat free. Because I eat like that mostly, I can occasionally indulge in chocolate and buttered noodles and my favorite desserts and ice-creams. It is about balance. It is about acceptance. It is about LOVING yourself. It is not about achieving PERFECTION. Simply about perfecting the art of achievement. And achieving the BEST YOU!

Go be beautiful-
Ciao

15 comments:

M.Qureshi said...

not bad!!

Anonymous said...

You feeling okay? Noticed u deleted facebook and some of ure latest blog postss??

Ky howa???

Anonymous said...

You really think too much of yourself...you're not that much of a beauty yourself. I mean, you DO all that and STILL look like that..?? lmao!!

Shahnaz said...

lmao too!

i am beautiful to myself dear anonymous- and i don't have to be a beauty to you... i love how i look, and i do what i like to look the way i do- and that is all that matters to me-

i think you missed the gist of the post-

eh- it happens-
peace-

Anonymous said...

I was eating a big slice of banana bread at 3 am (all that i could get from the cafe at that time. the thought of fried stuff at that hr makes me nauseous)& read this post...thanks for making me feel super guilty :P i have alas packed on pounds since starting this resident life :(
i thought i was happy in my skin till i read this post.JK. glad to know u r back with a bang.
luv,
TH

Anonymous said...

Sorry Shahnaz, if I hurt ure feelings earlier with my anonymous post

Shahnaz said...

apology at 7:41 am??!! wow! you must be very sincere...

no problemo-

i did not take offense so the apology is really not even needed, but you probably needed to get it off your chest.

thank you graciously-

peace-

Marie said...

Hi Shahnaz,

Ifyou dont mind me asking, how many times do you go to the gym and how many hours to you spend each session? I go eevry weekend, 2 days a week and spend 2 hours max each session.

Also whats your favourite perfume? x

Love Marie

Shahnaz said...

Well I used to go everyday. Can't at present cos I'm recovering from surgery. Usually spend a couple of hours or more at the gym but then I body build and lift serious weights

Marie said...

And whats your favourite perfume?

Unknown said...

Very worth reading!i really liked it....though its true that commitment and dedication is much needed if we really want to bring a change. You have changed a lot,regarding your appearance and to tell you the truth i really dont appreciate it much..cos its quite bold.....but i still like you.Stay blessed.

Anonymous said...

Hello Shehnaz ...I am a bigggg fan of you just like most pakistanis ,Though I ll admit i am hugely disapponted to see u so Americanized opposite to how u were in ABC ..But well its ur life ,and I am trying to be non judgemental

Anonymous said...

you were always drop dead gorgeous ... But hair on ur forhead dont look good ...I mean do any hairstyle that makes ur forhead look broader ...It will suit u more : )

Anonymous said...

Hey Shahnaz I'm from pakistan taxila city...I'm a big fan of your....I want to ask you two question 1)why you quit pakistan? 2)why you change your out look? Mene pakistan me jis tarha ap ko dekha tha kia wo out look is se ziada acha nahe tha.

Marie said...

Hi Shahnaz,

Can you please tell me what your favourite perfume is?

Marie