Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A dull ache-

And now all that remains is a dull ache...

Mornings are the hardest-
They always have been.
Wake up from slumber to a fresh new day
And that is the first thought that crosses my mind.
Him.
And then comes the crushing force of memories, anger, pain, betrayal, hurt, forgiveness and eventually
A peace...of sorts
Get up- make the bed,
Open wide the curtains to let in the light
And I wonder again
What will be?
Do I even ever want to see him again?
And sometimes it is a yes
And sometimes it is a no
More recently it has been
I don't know...
And all that remains now
Is a dull ache
Building up sometimes
And then simmering down low

It is what it is.
And I have survived it.
And I am not dead
I must, therefore, be stronger
Than I thought I was
I must therefore be stronger
Than I used to be
And wiser too

I cried a little yesterday
Because my daughter left home for the holidays
I fought with her yesterday
Because she was leaving
And then I apologized and told her why I fought
"I always fight with people when they leave"
I told her...
"It is because I do not want them to leave. I am merely hurt and sad and it comes out in fights instead."
She listened. She understood. She told me she loved me.
I remembered fighting with my mother before she was to leave. I remembered fighting with M. before he left and before I left. I fight and I fight and now I am tired.
So I told her- my kid,
"I am tired of fighting...maybe I'll just hug you instead..."
And so I did
and then she was gone...

And now all that remains
Is just a dull ache instead

I have fought with most everyone I know
I told him as I lay in his arms
I hate being controlled
I hate being manipulated
People in my life
Do that to me all the time

Try to control who I can and cannot be friends with
What I can and cannot do
What I eat
How I eat
If I am sad
If I am glad
"You should be happy"
"You should be mad"
"You need to get over"
"You need to- this and that..."
How about if I just am
The way I am
And that would be enough...
I don't want to eat pizza
I like to work out
I have many friends
And yes I can hurt
Some days I feel sad
Just let me be
Please...
And then maybe it isn't even them that I am mad at
It is me
Because I cannot control them
But I can control me
I am not too strong
To control me all the time
So it is so much simpler
To blame them I see
And then I am humbled
And then I can see
It isn't them at all
It is all really me

And then it returns
The dull ache
As I have to start from scratch
With me again
And try to be kind
And accepting and patient
With me-
So yes
It's back to square "1"
and I shall do it over and over and over again
Until I get it

Like I do with my new boxing set
Step by step
Uppercut-jab
Duck
Repeat
Stay on the balls of your feet
...

Oh did I mention-
I got a boxing set!
I punch away with glee
In my kitchen
To the beat of some awesome music
Dull ache and all
Life goes on....

9 comments:

ei-portal said...

is it true for you?



Mohabbat
Hijar
Nafrat
Sab Mill Chuke Hain Mujhe
Main Ab Takreban Mukamal Ho Chuki Hoon!!

Shahnaz said...

Humayun-

How beautiful...

Muhabbat
Hijar
Nafrat
Sab mil chukay hain mujhay...
Main ab takreeban mukkamal ho chuki hoon...

Yes. it is true for me.

Zane Akram said...

i was off from my mundane chores...Why? Interesting!! Christmas holidays for kids and semester break for me...Ha! now the question comes "HUSBAND"...interestingly he manage to eat his supper around 6 and went to bed early than usual...I on the other hand reading through articles of whats going on around the globe..so!! without any iffiness can through my two cent in front of any "BIG KAHUNA"
Sorry shahnaz I love to digress and procrastinate so pardon me if i do!
anyway!than i came across naidia khans old geo morning video! in which i was startled to see you ...and than i googled your name andd then YOUR BLOG!!
Scrupulous rather blatant views about oneself...truelllllyy Amaaazing...I mean yeah dull pain is the biggest cult here ..but hey isin it amazing that you are fighting and may be inadvertently achieving your self actualization stage in your life..
NOTHING IS PERMANENT..shahnaz ...even your thoughts too...CHANGE...Is every thing...And i saw a change may be ...huge change in you...your agony has lull you from inside ...
YOU ARE A GO GAL baby! amazing blend of beauty and brains....you are truly blessed with immense power to question..above all QUESTIONING YOURSELF..WITHOUT SELF PITY..

ka said...

i disagree on this mukammal ho chukki hune as .. abhi ur daughter will get marry & will definitly leave u behind... and that wud be another feeling happy + sad... u can explain that feeling in words..

than .. how mukamaal

:) lolz

waheed ahmed said...

real heart touching..........

Shahnaz said...

zane-

i try to question myself- until i know myself and complete myself i will always feel alone and empty...

Shahnaz said...

cauship-

you are too presumptuous sir... you cannot tell me how i will and will not feel or how i do and do not feel...

Shahnaz said...

waheed-

thanks

ka said...

lolz.. this time i agree.. but you got me wrong i again presume . any way cheers madam :)

-