Thursday, January 27, 2011

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever met those people with an ever so inflated sense of entitlement? Those who believe that the world does and should revolve around them? Yeah... we all know them right? Well I am happy to inform that I told one such person off today-

And very rightly so too!

Okay before we get into it, I have to say- for the record "I need a drink!" and it's barely noon....
Now to elaborate- There is a slight sprinkling of snow yesterday which may or may not have frozen on the roads today (I didn't encounter any ice!) and Ambar's school was delayed two hours.

Now this daughter of mine is a brilliant and beautiful kid. Responsible, smart, great, simply wonderful! 
This kid is so awesome that she completes her homework and has her book bag in the car ready to go the night before. Anyhoo....there is a two hour delay and the super great private school that she goes to will call you at 6:00am to let you know if there is a delay so if you don't have to be up you can just hit the snooze button and sleep some more. I am not one of those who has the luxury to do that, but I do know someone who does...or that is what my super entitled brain thinks when  that 6:am call comes through. So groggily I dial the number- to my ex hubby (and the new Mrs. Khawaja)(that's what I have to tell everyone who knows us- I am the "old" she is the "new" lol...) of course! After all his little wifey does not work. Sure she has a cake decorating class or what not and all but seriously, they live 1 minute away from her school. She could do the delayed drop off. And if it is icy I know for a fact she is not going out. But to no avail- alas- I believe they have started to screen my 6:00am post Westchester, call with delay,  calls. Hmmm I wonder why...lol...

Now that was not the conundrum and I promise I will get to the point. SO The "new" cannot do the drop off and I call trusty old Mrs. Smith who, angel that she is, makes the 30 minute drive from her house to mine to watch Ambar for an hour before she has to take her to school.

Things go without a hitch-
Kid fed and hugged? check
Me fed and Advil-(ed)? (pms abounds...as well as sniffles and general aches and pains from workout and cold!) check
Get to work in time? check
Make first meeting (off site) on time? check
And here is where it gets tricky...

At 10:05am look at cell phone- and I quote- "my book bag is in your car mom and now I am crying!" ACK! Mommy heart explosion!!!! Quadruple atria/ventricular spasms and whatnot! So I grab keys/scribble message on whiteboard outside office door/sprint down three flights of stairs and across campus to car/dial boss/start car and take off like a maniac down the street. It is now 10:10am. CRAP! Have a client at 11:00am! Dial boss's cell line. No answer. Dial Office line and tell her that I am on the road taking kid's book bag to kid. She chuckles and tells me to be safe on  the road.

Safe? ME? Safe? I am the woman who got that 25 over limit (at least that is what my speeding ticket attorney got it reduced to)(and yes I have an attorney just for speeding tickets)(get over it) ticket once.  I scour the roads for cops as I jam on the gas and watch the needle hit 100 and go over. "Please don't let me get a ticket, please don't let me get a ticket, I chant until Cake starts to play on the radio and then I simply head bang to Cake and cruise along with a mental note to self- try the Acuvue lenses...they probably have better vision focus- as I peer at the number plates of cars to determine if they are cop cars.

Long story short- Book Bag gets delivered. Kid has this glorious look of joy on her face. Kid's teacher looks amazed- "You drove from Greensboro?"
Yes ma'am- she's an amazing kid and I will do everything in my power to never let her down!

Get in car- It is now 10:45am!
OH CRAP- and then I start to curse in sixteen languages as I do a repeat of the "scout for cop cars" deal and another mental note of "try the Acuvue lenses" interspersed with the MOST inflated sense of entitlement that leads me to be angered at (and yes I still continue to utter my sixteen language curse monologue)- get this- all of the following- (chuckles!)

  • the "new wife" who is simply not worth the air she breathes some days (smirk) (very self satisfied smirk)
  • the slowpoke old biddy infront of me driving well within the speed limit (head shake/southern drivers!)
  • the TWO HOUR delay over what? sprinkles? I survived a blizzard in NYC for Pete's sake!!(ahhh sigh...lol)
  • oh yet another old biddy who drives well within the speed limit (LMAO now)
  • any and all cops
  • The very state of NC which would on the spot relieve me of my Driver's License and put me behind bars for driving at the speed I am driving (gulp! fear!)
  • the sun which is in my eyes (fuck the sun for shining! how dare it shine? could it not shine at 5:00am and melt the snow hence eliminating the need for a delay?)
  • the school, for the delay (at this point I am laughing out loud!)
YEAH! fuck it all!!! I say with some great degree of smug self satisfaction as I do the internal mental (simultaneous and yet dichotomous with the cursing) other monologue of self evaluation-lol...

"Shahnaz- You are single-handedly the world's MOST atrociously spoiled and entitled, ridiculously self-inflated ego maniac, head banging (yes Cake is playing again!) 'make a sailor blush' curse machine (that monologue is still in full force...) who is a completely awesome driver and mom! (kudos and pat on back for self) and wow- Ishould really get myself a Mustang and see what I can make that baby do-lol..."

And I pull into the lot at exactly 11:05!
Quick sprint across campus and up three flights of stairs, clatter down the wooden hallway, remembering to breathe- in through nose and out through mouth- and turn the corner completely composed and presentable to see client waiting- Phew!
Make apologies- Settle in

"So tell me about your day so far..." I state

;)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL... During my break at work, I went straight to reading this, without realizing that there were EMS/ firefighters behind me checking air quality, because a colleague/ friend had fainted.

I knew you were a crazy driver from that scene in ABC where you pull back your car to talk to that guy...lol.

Love the finesse in your mission accomplished :)

ei-portal said...

our soul is more valueable or our body?

Anonymous said...

The "little wifey" thing is not something I expected from you. Could it be that you are jealous of the domestic bliss the new Mrs. Khawaja has? If a woman chooses to stay with her family and have cake decorating classes as a profession, she should not be derided or brought down. Its her decision in life and something she chose to be and do.

Shahnaz said...

@ Amna-
lol... my dear woman i absolutely must meet up with you sometime. we would coffee shop and talk for hours and have a brilliant time!

Shahnaz said...

@humayun-

our body and our soul need to be in rhythm- that is in my opinion the secret to peace.

Shahnaz said...

@ anonymous

YES! that's it! I am crazy jealous of the NEW wife- lol....ahahaha(sarcasm)

FYI- "stay with her family" my daughter IS her family-

interestingly Mrs. Smith drove 30 minutes in the ice to be there for my kid- that's being there for "the family" she is always there for my kid and she is not even related to my kid. but forgive me for not understanding how cake decorating is being there for "the family" i must be a complete moron to have missed that, lol

peace-dear
freedom of speech and all. i am allowed the air i breathe. let us not be controlling now. you can say what you like and think what you like and so can i...you can start a blog and deride the OLD to your hearts content if you like...

for the record- i did not pitch a fit because my kid's dad and step mom are not there to help out even when they can- i DEALT with it. that is what i do- my kid is cared for and her needs are met- one way or another-
i am a GREAT single mom. and after all is said and done, i can THINK and SAY and WRITE whatever i like. that is my RIGHT... and so can you-

i am allowed my thoughts and my opinions and even my petty moments. i do not control your thoughts and opinions and petty comments. i publish them and accept them and respond to them

but seriously- i am allowed my petty moments. that is what the post is about. my inflated sense of entitlement during my petty moments. we all have them and i am not ashamed of them, in fact, on the contrary i admit them! you can try to shame me. it still does not make me feel ashamed. being petty is human nature. i actually recognize when i am having them... that is being self aware.

calling me jealous was your "petty" moment. do YOU recognize when you are being petty? lol...

BUT-
causing you hurt was not my intent. help me understand what hurt you though- your feelings are your creations, based on your thoughts and perceptions- you are throwing the blame on me. why is that? take some stock of yourself and determine why the post was not up to your expectation of me- why DO you have any expectation of me? do you believe i OWE you something that i have to live up to YOUR expectation of me.

i am jealous of many things in life but the new wife is not one of them. i was miserable married to my ex-hubby. and being divorced from him is one of the best things that happened to me. there is nothing that the new wife has that i want-

enjoy your domestic bliss-
peace

Anonymous 2 - ha ha said...

All that rant at poor anonymous DEFINTELY shows and CLEARLY states that indeed you do CARE about the new wife and to some extent are jeolous...(whether u fail to admit is entirely another matter but the facts are clearly there...)

All this emotion from what - 7 lines by anonymous...tut tut...somethings there...lol

Shahnaz said...

@ both anonymouses-

yes! hope that makes your day-

;)

Anonymous said...

Sure thing! I've been fantasizing about a backpack trip across the U.S. On the other hand, do you come by Toronto?

Lost said...

most of us ARE ego maniacs but there are only a few who admit

Lost said...

most of us (or i would rather say all of us) ARE ego maniacs though there are very few who admit