Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Campfires and firecrackers


I googled campfires after my conversation last night. A conversation I really enjoyed. After the dead weight that I have been dragging around for these past few painful months, the relief was welcome and comforting- blissful even...

This morning, again, I woke up with a smile on my face. Life has a new pulse and a new energy to it and for that I am so very grateful. I did not sleep well last night... I was too excited and giddy I guess. So after some warm milk the thinking kicked in and did the thoughts just pour in. But that is a different post-

This post is about campfires-

This is what Wikipedia had to say and for once I liked what Wikipedia had to say

A campfire is a fire lit at a campsite, to serve the following functions: light, warmth, a beacon, a bug and/or apex predator deterrent, to cook, and for a psychological sense of security. In established campgrounds they are usually in a fire ring for safety.


Functions- Light, warmth, a beacon (for the lost or those seeking), bug deterrent, apex predator deterrent, to cook (hence sustenance), and for a psychological sense of security...
I read the description again and that home seeking, soul seeking part of me, yearning part of me, breathed deep. I thought to myself- it is uncanny how my soul will use a metaphor to describe another human, in a way that reflects my needs.

I wonder out loud- was it my need I projected, or the traits of the person I attributed that metaphor to? I don't know. It was a descriptor that came naturally to mind and I voiced it.

And then there is the firecracker-

Loud, energetic, sparkly, colorful, full of sparks and spurts, explosive and eventually wears out after all the fuss and goes out...

I thought and even stated some of it-

After it's all done sparkling around, the firecracker me longs to go and curl up beside the warmth and steady comfort of a campfire. A firecracker- a sparkler has an intense burst of fire. Explosive. Eye catching. Enchanting. And then it wears out, it tires...and goes out. It is cold and dark, and yet there is still a longing for warmth, fire and flame... not the explosive kind. The gentle and warm kind, that will smolder beautifully, at a steady pace all through the long, cold, dark night...keeping watch, keeping safe, keeping warm, sustaining, protecting, shining a light with which to see with clarity...and come dawn it can awake and sparkle again after being nourished through the night.

Built in a fire ring- for safety...

The definition of insanity- doing the same thing and expecting different results.

But alas- what is the safety ring?
How does one determine?
How to delineate those safe parameters...
Now those are thoughts indeed-

So it was- my thought pattern with campfires and firecrackers...

No comments: