Tuesday, June 19, 2012

your face

i fill my days with activity
i run and go go go
always on the move
it helps me forget you
for a while...
and then
in the wee hours of the night
after i have beaten my body down
and worn my mind out
and eaten a tub of ice cream
and a jar of peanut butter
and as i am brushing my teeth and washing my face and my feet
and john mayer, or snow patrol or OAR or lifehouse croon in my ear
and some of our songs linger on the airwaves
my heart is awakened again
and from the icy depths of the chill i have numbed it into
so that i will not think of you
the warmth of our lost love returns
and with it the longing ache
and i crawl into bed
and turn and rest my head
in the space where your neck and shoulder met
in that empty space beside me
the tears fall
and dampen my sheets and pillow case
as i look at your beautiful face
and caress the screen that holds it
as i kiss you good night
and cry myself
yet again to sleep
and in the morning
i wake up and repeat
....

1 comment:

faizan said...

i wake up and repeat