Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sophie

I sat by Sophie today
My fountain of wisdom

Little kids came by
With big people who've forgotten to live

I sat as always
Up close with my feet up

I remembered a man's words
"Why do we have to sit right on top of it?"

Because that's how it should be...
I had thought, because it's fun!

I remembered another man I once loved
A man who lied
A man who broke my heart 
Again and again
And I smiled
He had sat with me here
And I tried to hold his hand for a photograph
But he pulled away
That's when I knew it...
I was not loved back

When you love you are open
When you love you want closeness
When you are brave you are open
When you have courage you speak your truth
In lies there is no love
Only the true have courage to love
The rest just want
To feel good

Love is so much more
Than just feeling good
Love will open you up
If you will let it
It will tear you up
And break you down
Because only then
Can you truly live!

I smiled and watched the kids
Who seemed to gravitate to me

I guess it was because while their grown ups sat a safe distance apart
I sat up close with my feet up

Kids know love
Kids know life
And then we raise them
And thus we ruin them...

I looked at the kids
And they played with me
I fished coins out for them
On my knees elbow deep in my fountain 
It was glorious fun
While the kids played with me
Their grown ups sat, relieved...
Far away
Their faces buried in their phones
Relieved to get away 

They missed seeing it all
Too busy to love
Too busy to live

They missed the flower 
The little boy gave me
They missed his face light up as I stuck it in my hair...

They missed the little girl ask if she should collect the money or throw it back in?
I asked what would make her happy?
They missed hearing what makes her happy...
They missed it all

When I got up to go
They grabbed my hands 
And had a fuss 
I fished my last coins for them

I'm too old to do that 
A dad replied
When the little girl asked him to reach a coin

Yes I thought
We ruin them
We raise them to be old
And we ruin these beautiful free creatures
We make them old
And then they no longer play 
In water fountains anymore

I wish more grown ups 
Were kids some days...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHAHNAZ RAMADAN MUBARAK!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, was sitting and your thoughts flashed so i said to myself "Whats the harm in reliving the memories, for a moment" and it eventually ended in this, very pertinent :). Take care gal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxdfFmyqzQ&index=13&list=PL6BA1A5179BA211D8