Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How much pain?

How much pain
Can a human sustain?
The loss of home,
Of limb,
Of child?
Of father
Mother
Brother
Sister?
A neighbor
A friend
A stranger
1000 humans?

How much blood
Will it take to appease
How much injustice?
Can a human sustain?

I scream
I cry
I can't eat
Or sleep
All fades away
All that remains
Is Gaza-

Gaza burns
Gaza bleeds
Gaza weeps
Gaza screams
And yet...
Gaza sustains
-

A crown of thorns was placed
On the brow of Jesus
Baby Moses cast off in a basket on the Nile
Mohammed saved by a spider's web
And still they fight-

How much fight
Can a human sustain?

I find my heart melt
And pray for mercy
For the oppressor
For I am afraid
For what will await
When justice delivers

How much justice 
Can the cruel sustain

In my pain
As I break
And yet I sustain
I pray for Gaza 
And for the blessings of heaven to shower
The sweet faces in death
As if asleep
Some stilled in pain
May the angels welcome
With songs of praise
The innocent
To heaven untimely sent

In my pain
No anger here...
I pray for the cruel 
For them let there be
Mercy from Heaven
Have mercy on them Lord
May the angels whisper mercy 
And stay their murdering hands
 
How much mercy
Can the cruel sustain?



No comments: