Friday, July 11, 2014

How to save a life

The universe works in funny ways...
I remembered this just now 
"He who saves one life, saves the world entire..." It's from the Talmud! It got me thinking-
When did it start? This whole hate thing? And why?
Read the saying- isn't that what every religion preaches? Every spiritual path? Everything sacred states that message-
Save a life! Save it! Not take it!
I think for a minute and realize there I was caught up in reactive anger. Reactivity born out of years of socialization. What if I was just me today- not my reactive past but my authentic present!
And then I wept. Because I too have hated and I too have angered. Against Israel. But what if I forgave myself? And what if I forgave them? And what if I stopped angering and hating and just felt hurt at this senseless destruction? And I wept some more and finally arrived at my first moment of peace in days and it hit me/
Peace comes from loving and forgiving and owning our mistakes when we have made them. In angering and hating I became just like what I am angry at! That can't be right! That is why this madness continues. I must ask forgiveness instead for hurts I may have caused. I have to start to be the change I wish to see happen...only then does the world change
It isn't easy- but it is the only way.

No comments: