Sunday, August 14, 2016

Out of your reach

You ask me about my strength
You wonder how I got it
And what it is that makes me tick
And keep on ticking 
Even after I take a licking

I fought a monkey when I was five
I fought a mugger at ten
At nine I was held at gunpoint
At eleven my family split
At fourteen I struggled with relatives
Who always saw me as troublesome
Because I called out their bullshit
At nineteen I was wed
At twenty two I was a mother
At twenty six I was divorced
And then I took some lovers
Who ripped my heart to shreds 
So I left the lovers and learned how to sew myself together
Somewhere along the way I got some degrees
Somewhere along the way I fell and cried and picked myself up again
My bones tell the tale
Of all my aches and pains
Unspoken wails sit in the tight knots of my muscles
And the smile on my face hides the tears
That I hold back sometimes for days

You wonder at my calm
And at my joy
Before there was calm
There were screams for days
Before there was joy
I wept an ocean

You see me stand tall
And you see me laugh
And in your entitlement
You seek to judge
You try to break me down
Sometimes for sport
Sometines you stand in awe of me
Some days you fear me

It will take more than you to break me
More than you to make me fall
Not in your lifetime will I crumble
Never before you kow tow
Maybe that is what frightens you
Maybe that's why you judge
Maybe that is why you try to break me
Hoping that before you I will bow

Strength is earned 
By each fall we take
Courage is an internal state
Joy is a choice
I will not break in your lifetime
Try as you might
I will be like water 
Slip through your fist
The tighter you try to squeeze me
I'll melt away
Out of reach

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Very touching! It seems you have a lot in you which sort of defines you...

Anonymous said...

...wish i could connect with you more...

nB said...

I will not break in your lifetime!

Anonymous said...

Be brave and be strong dear Shahnaz! , Allah is with you and will always be InshaAllah.

Anonymous said...

This is story of your life. You have lived bravely. You will die bravely. But, dont forget there are few things we must honor while we live and before we die... i.e. to spread love and smiles all around us, to fear God without being afraid of him, to serve parents, to know the truth, which is written in HIS book and follow the path HIS Messengers have told... if one is able to do that its a life worth lived.

Upar Wala Aap Se Bohat Pyar Kerta Hai... Aap ke maa se 70 gunna zaiada...

Wish you stay blessed far away from all worries.

Don't forget I am on old fan of ABC... very old one Shahnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz... not a stalker :)

N Ahmed said...

Teray ishq ki inteha chahta hun,
Meri saadgi dekh, kiya chahta hun...

Anonymous said...

Shahnaz:)