Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Scary People...




I know some scary people. Now I am not talking about the zombie kind and nor do I "see dead people..."! I mean real life everyday normal folks who scare the bejeezus out of me and give me really bad heebie jeebies.....shudder......uhhh....! I avoid them like the plague. When I see them walking towards me I tend to cross the road and go the other way just to get away (figuratively speaking, of course, but I am convinced that if ever confronted with the situation I would be quite literal about that statement too!)


I am talking about the "holier than thou, dear lord in heaven what did I ever do to deserve their wrath, walking the streets and getting in your face, moral brigade"! Yes we have all seen them and met them... They sit in state at dinner parties and social gatherings and pass judgement on all sorts of life situations and all manner of people.
"Did you see her in capri's the other day..."

" I hear hear he is seeing a gori (white woman)..."

" The correct way to roast a chicken is..."

" If I were you I would really not invite them to my place..."

" Now the correct way to pray/eat/sit/think/live/die/talk/(and forgive my french!) but yes even shit is....."


Those are the scariest human creatures in my opinion. I have never had much tolerance for those who seek to control others, especially those who seek to control me in particular. And of that particular breed the moral brigade are the worst of the lot. They claim no relation to you (which though still out of line.... may perhaps justify the never ending stream of "advice") and yet believe themselves responsible for educating you in the ways of how to live your own life!


I had occasion to be exposed to one such heebie jeebie inducing character today. The said cretin chose to respond to a favor I obliged them with, by calling to "thank" me for said favor. Oozing disdain from every pore the cretin, chose to ramble on and on about the correctness of this and that and such and so forth.....yawn.... and rambled and droned on.... Yikes!


Now let me just rethink something for a moment... ummm..... we each have one life that is our very own - correct; we are, each and every one of us, completely deserving of our own autonomy- again, correct; we are each going to be answerable for our own actions - true; as long as we are not usurping another's right or causing another any harm we may do pretty much what we want (within legal limits) - I am pretty sure of it... Then where do these ......(picture me sputtering in fury) cretins get off telling everyone what to do and passing judgement on all and sundry like it is their inherent right?


Aforementioned cretin criticized Jane Doe today for doing xyz. Then, continued on to inform me that they personally do not really know how to do xyz. However, whatever way that Jane Doe was doing it, cretin was pretty much sure, it was the wrong way for it to be done!


I was flabbergasted, floored, speechless. And then I was scared! I could feel a terrible case of the heebie jeebies come over me... I mean it is one thing to be critical of something you are actually good at, or even at least, know how to do. But this was a whole new dimension of
cretin.moral.brigade-dom! To sit and pass judgement on something you are completely clueless about. Wow!


I was in awe of the situation that I was witnessing. I could sense the indignant protest on the tip of my tongue start to do battle with the bejeezus that was fast running scared out of me. Instead of my honest-to-God, "who the hell do you think you are" retort being "bit down" by the bejeezus (which by this time was definitely scared out of me!) I choked on my words... literally! I ended up having a major coughing fit. Hacking and rasping for air, turning nearly blue at my end (due in part to rage, fear and yes... the spit, a result of the sputtering BTW, that went down my windpipe instead of my esophagus!) while cretin on the other end grew quickly bored with the battle my lungs waged (after all a choking person is really not a very good audience for holier.than.thou-ness). She quickly excused herself and hung up... not even waiting to see if I lived to tell the tale.


See..... I told you. Scariest people ever!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

touche!

Unknown said...

the world's filled with all sorts of people...one comes across a variety every now n then...but wat matters most is how each of them influences your thought and imagination..
shahnaz, the ones you wrote abt exist in every society...but it depends in wat way they are tryin to influence..they can be beneficial at times but dangerous too...tht too depends on the calibre of person whoz passin judgements and suggestions...its never bad or late to take someonez advice provided tht he/she is really capable of delivering some!

2ndly i wonder why u find them scary since they can b ignored very easily as well if one chooses to...however the ultimate way to deal with them can be chalked out aftr decidin how influential his/her suggestions can be !

Anonymous said...

I was flabbergasted, floored, speechless. And then I was scared!

How well i identify with that - at 39 yrs of age one would expect to have learned how completely illogical, irrational some people can be but it still floors me when total ignorance is presented in the setting of flagrant, supreme disdain and confidence! This is Ayn Rand's "beast" in action. Read up on it in "The fountainhead"..... The most irrefutable logic and the most eloquent speech will fail to impact this "beast" -----self-righteosness held up by dogmas - thats your beast right there.

Anonymous said...

It was my older one's audition for another choir this morning.

While waiting for their turn some kids were being...well...kids!(nothing bad) and this teacher passes by telling them: "if you must hurt each other, do it quietly!" ...........hilarious!

You know who scares me? the kind of person that does not see this as funny....you know what also scares me? that this self righteous humourless humbug represents the world's majority.

Anonymous said...

You are way too darpook Shahnaz :D! I love to handle such scary and mingly people.
I was having dinner somewhere for the recently returned Hajies. A very distant relative tried to know my faith and relationship with Allah. I tried to answer it with a smile and pleasantly, then he went for round two after 15 min or something. So Sikander when are you planning to do xyz? His that question literally burned me from head to toe! I answered him in english "don't get me started" those four words were enough for him. He never bothered to say goodbye in the end of the dinner lol. So Shahnaz don't turn blue turn them blue! :-)

Unknown said...

Wow.. spent half a day at work goin throo all that i had missed over the past few months... and more... lol !!!

Ali said...

this was a serious piece of hillariousness.. if there is such a thing.. haha.. you r soo bad..KKRAZY.. couldnt stop laughing.. crraazyyyy..

Ali said...

forgot to check that wretched followup box again

Shahnaz said...

it was true!

i was gobsmacked i tell you- gobsmacked after that conversation with her! plus i choked on my own spit and nearly DIED!!!
:)

hahahahaha!

Ali said...

and i thought madam's picture had something to do with the title...lol....silly me:P...you are sooo crazyyyy S.. i read it again and its just hillarious.. superrrrr.. i feel sorry for the person on the other end if they ever read this.. its such a wickedly innocent insult...