Monday, January 5, 2009

Mission (not) Impossible- The hunt for a "Gharayloo Husband"!!!



Okay folks this is a fabulous thing!!
But first some background....

(Girly chit chat)
So my friend Saad, an MIT grad student, is off to Sao Paolo Brazil for about a month. (Which BTW is where I was supposed to be too, but due to the lack of moolah $$$ I am sadly not sunning myself on the sultry beaches of Latin America!)But I get distracted from my main point. See the thing is that I was chatting with his wife Asy(who is NOT in Brazil with him) on facebook- that social networking wonder... and we were trading stories of the fabulous fun of having your mum visit and spoil you silly when talk tured to Saad.

She informed me that she misses him (awwwwww.... eyeroll....!!!)and I can see why. Saad is a sweet man. She also informed that there is never a dull moment for her when he is around. I can imagine, I know the chap an he's fun! Anyway, right about now is when she grumbles about how during his semester break- the man has become almost nocturnal. I can relate. Over my break from school I have been up all night and slept past noon every day!! In his (read MY) defense I offer on his behalf

"Well Asy, there's nothing wrong with that!"
Asy: "He always wants something to eat when he's up late..."
ME: "Yeah... I have to fix my OWN late late night snacks... (I am getting a little envious now, imagining how wonderful it must be to ahve snaks prepared for you but just making a request...)
Asy: "I wish I had a wife to take care of me..."
ME: "Hey while you're looking for one for you, find me one too....!"
Asy: (after a little reflective pause) do you want a gharayloo one or one who works?
ME: "lol... I don't know... Hmmm.... What do you suggest?"
Asy: (after another thoughtful pause) You definitely need a gharayloo one! That way you can go off and do want you want and there will be someone to take care of you."

I was by now in stitches over the humor but still very poignant nature of this discussion. Asy had a point... and then it hit. Was it? Could it be possible to have a gharayloo HUBBY???

ME: "Hey Asy listen... can one get a husband like that"
Asy: "I wish!!"
ME: "hmmmm... can one have a ghrayloo hubby..??"
Asy: "They are very rare."
ME: "But they exist?? That's it. I want a gharaloo hubby!!"
Asy: They never study. They never work."
ME: "Where do you find them?"
Asy: "They are the land owners..."
ME: "OH! Na bhai naa!! Those are WADERAS!!"
Asy: "No no..."
ME: "bas phir Asy! done deal. Mission not impossible! I am on the hunt for a gharayloo hubby. In fact that shall be my new year's resolution. This year I resolve to start my hunt for a gharayloo hubby!"

(Much laughter)

(Chat at home later in the day)
ME: Ami, I think I want a gharayloo husband.
Ami: Hain???
ME: LOL.... Yeah Asy thinks I should get one.
Ami: silence and a look...
ME: But think of it. This is modern times....
Ami: (laughter)Bachay you would get bored with a gharayloo hubby
Bubba Jee: Mommy what a garay-whatever husband?
Ami and Me: laughter
Bubba Jee: Much offended: You don't have a husband!
Me: Hurray for that!
Bubba Jee: Is a gharay-whatever husband like a regular husband?
Ami: That is the million dollar question!
Me: LOL
Bubba Jee:I don't get it. I'm bored with this gharay husband!
Ami: I rest my case!
Me: LOL. ROFLMAO!!!


(FAcebook Status change- "Asy has me convinced that what I need is a gharayloo hubby!")

Comments:
Fuzzball thinks that any hubby can be made gharayloo- it just takes time and work. A lot of time and a lot of work!
Saad believes that gharayloo husband and ghar damaad are one and the same thing.


But this certainly has me wondering.
A gharayloo husband...
Imagine the bliss-
Imagine the joy-
Imagine....
Sigh...
Okay.
Confession
I'm bored.

I have to admit, though.
Ami knows me pretty well.
Upon extensive imagining, I find myself bored already. Hmmmm.
Okay then...

But seriously. It sounds intriguing. The concept, I mean. And the breed...
It's not for me- it's true. But still what an idea...
LOL

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i think of the one you just thought you need, i will swear think that God gave me a sex change and it will not be nice.. NOT AT ALL!!!
**shreijksss

Z Sattar said...

This can be good research topic.
"A successful living with a Ghareyloo husband possible or not..."

hinu said...

lol but asy was right dey are rare....but i believe once ya get dat kinda"hubby" at certain time period ya get bored...da idea might work for sum special cases buh not for everyone:)coz todays women wants richi rich hubby not ghaeralo hubby am i right or wrong ?:)

Faisal Jaan... said...

You should write a CV and publish it on social networking and matrimonial websites.
:):):)

Anonymous said...

nice thought, it sounds interesting , well i think it is possible .. but see i'm confuse on a point ; will HE ur "hubby" change diaphi of ur baby too [...LOL ]:( [ a bit difficult to find that one, but try , use google , may be u find someone ]
good luck 4 da search :)

Shahnaz said...

Caushiph and Faisal...

LOL!!

Guys it was a hypothetical post. I am most certainly NOT looking for a husband- gharayloo or otherwise! I have a hard enough time dealing with the ex husband that I am content and happy being footloose and fancy free.

Besides, Between Mom, friends and well wishers who believe humans should come in pairs I have more than my fair share of (interesting and funny) set ups.

So no rishta.com for me thanks(shudder)
:P

And PS Caushiph- My ex did change Bubba Jee's diapers when she was a baby. So there.... even non gharayloo hubbies do that! So get started learning man.

Shahnaz said...

hinu

I agree
I would be bored to death with a gharaloo hubby. Besides the idea of someone to wait on me hand and foot is not particularly appealing long term. It gets tedious after a while....

Shahnaz said...

Zeeshan

it is a fabulous topic! one can ponder on it in many ways for days and days...
:)

Unknown said...

i cud neva do with a gharayloo wife... and a gharayloo hubby sounds a bit too borin really... in fact in USA he would be termed a 'fag' :(

Hyper-Threaded said...

Hi Shahnaz!

Been busy so i might have missed out on some of your posts.. Anyway, this one seemed very interesting to me.. My opinion about this topic is that no matter even if a girl does find a "ghareloo hubby", she's probably gonna end with a conventional or natural hubby; meaning to say that even if a man takes a role in a relationship that is not meant for him, he's finally gonna wake up and change that himself because its not in his nature to be a "ghareloo hubby"..

Men and women respond to their nature some time or the other in their lifetime!

See you!!

Signed,
HT.

mo said...

There are actually plenty of guys who while they won't be labeled "ghareyloo" in the Eastern sense, do help out around the house, who cook and enjoy it, like to keep a place tidy and the usual share of the chores, and who pamper and spoil as well...

Daanish said...

Interesting post,put an add in your local BU,UMass or MIT news.You will see the results!
I am prety sure with right wordings,you will get few hits!

Anonymous said...

Gharayloo Husband --Isn't THAT an odd thought!
Gud luk hunting:)

FAISAL RIAZ said...

Gharayloo Husband – quite attention-grabbing thought. If any girl finds, she might stay happy but hubby’s life will be a doom. Wo bechara tu log k tannay sunn sunn ker he mer jai ga… (victum of society)


I guess a man should be fireldly towards his better half. He should have a big heart to help out his wife – wherever possible.

Mannan said...

Thanks to ABC. I have got a thumb rule for a life partner.

It says,"Biwi aur gari aise hone chahiye kae sath khari ho to Apni lage.!

That pretty much sums it up ! ;)

Mannan said...

BUt its still an intriguing thought ! i have heard and seen sugghar and ghrayloo wives ! but a ghrayloo husband! Wow ! :P :P

Anonymous said...

lol, Asy is so right.. gharaylo husbands dont work :p what we say in urdu/ punjabi is 'woh sirf munji/charpoy tortay hain' na kaam na kaaj :p

and lol your bubba ji is so adorable..

Shahnaz said...

HT

lol...
the nature of a man vs a woman eh?
that is another post entirely...

Shahnaz said...

mubi,

i agree
gharayloo hubby un unh! no way...
considerate man- any day!

Shahnaz said...

daanish...

won't that be interesting?
:P

Shahnaz said...

mannan'

lol... true!
always nice to hear from you buddy!

Anonymous said...

p.s. i met a gharayloo hubby the other day!

Shahnaz said...

seher

ooohhhh tell tell!

Deja Vu said...

new post awaited