Thursday, November 18, 2010

Porosity-

Definition:
Porosity is a measure of the void spaces in a material, and is a fraction of the volume of voids over the total volume, between 0–1, or as a percentage between 0–100%. The term is used in multiple fields including pharmaceutics, ceramics, metallurgy, materials, manufacturing, earth sciences and construction.

The term is not, however, used with humans-
With a human soul to be specific, or even the human heart. Not the physical- pumps blood to the body heart, but the feeling heart.
Why not?
"...a measure of the void spaces in a material..."
I am a material. I am human material. There is a soul so to speak. And even a heart. I work in a field where everyday I speak to people who come to me with porosity of the human heart and soul. I am  human and there are days I experience feelings of porosity and  there are days when the porosity is less present. Happiness lessens porosity. Contentment too. And peace. And love.

I wonder can hurt and pain and loss be measured in terms of the volume of voids over the total volume? What fraction of porosity are you today? What fraction of porosity am I today.

Do we sometimes fill up the void and lessen porosity with anger? With hate? With thoughts of vindictiveness? I wonder, Is my porosity less when I am angry. I don't feel it as much, I suppose-  But then I don't feel much else except the anger. And hate and vindictiveness are all consuming anyway. Do they lessen porosity or do they clog it?

Is some porosity good? Does it give us room to grow? What if there was no porosity to the human heart and soul? What would that be like? Would we be blissful? Or would we be blobs? Would we know true joy if there was never any sadness.  Would the heart know what love is if it had never felt loss and pain? Would the soul know the concept of contentment and peace if it did not know conflict and discontent.

Porosity...
I am human material and I wonder, what is my porosity?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Osmosis and photosynthesis happen due to porosity, isn't it? Amphibians breathe through their skin. We perspire. That's a unique feature about human skin. We cool down. Sustain more energy.